Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newstead 1911 - 2011
The full title follows Curle's original title of "A Roman Frontier Post and its People". Edited by Fraser Hunter and Lawrence Keppie it is a series of papers published by National Museums of Scotland. I have only read the first few papers - it arrived today and I have sat and read it since I opened it!! - and I have torn myself away to commend it already.

The photography (black and white) is excellent, both aerial pictures and of the finds (although limited; but this a book of papers, not a finds catalogue). The illustrations are of an equal quality and all in all it is a marvellous addition to my library (particularly as it brings the welcome news of a series of monographs on the categories of finds "imminently").

My only niggle is the lack of foot notes as they are gathered at the end of each paper. I am sure from a publication perspective it is more aesthetically pleasing to do it this way and avoid a higgedy piggeldy bottom margin, but it does get a little irritating turning pages to and fro to check the references. A very good point to balance this, however, is a full bibliography after each paper

But the foot notes are a small fault in a beautifully presented book which I think achieves its aim in being a suitable celebration of Curle's work and achievements.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!