Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Games for mobiles?
Does anyone know of any good ancient-themed games for mobile devices? I like strategy / war games like Roman Total War, and city-building games like the old Caesar brand. I've done some searches but couldn't find anything that seemed interesting.

Can anyone make some recommendations?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
There isn't anything for mobile devices. Modern Gaming systems demand too much power ina machine to put it on a Mobile Device.

It'll be another 20 years before Tablets can run something like Rome 2.
I predict in 20 years, what we call a tablet today will be unheard of. Only old people will remember using them. Who remembers the Commodore 64 besides us crusty old folks? How about the Timex Sinclair? Admittedly, those are about 25 years back, but you get the point.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, shoot. No wonder I couldn't find anything, if there is nothing to be found!

The only mobile game I've played for any length of time was Angry Birds, and that was fun enough I was hoping there was something ancient-themed out there. Oh, well.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Angry Birds is literally the best selling game of all time, with over 300 million copies sold. Its followed by other cell phone games.

If you cut Cellphones out, its Wii Sports, then the Original Sims, then Super Mario Bros, followed by (I think) Halo or COD. Roman games are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down that list near the bottom.
Try populus Romanus for android. Good fun
Daniel De Palo
Try Othello. You'll find out how clever that tiny computer in the phone is.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
For Windows, there is a free game called "Praetor" It is a fantasy-strategie game, where you are a Praetor trapped on mystical islands and have to fight your way out of there. Lot's of fun Smile
Actually ...

If you have an iPad there are several possibilities.

For empire building games you might try Ikariam.

(You can join and strike out on your own or if you really want to play I will be happy to send you an invite that will place you on our island for mutual support.)

http://us.ikariam.com/index.php

For a more Roman themed game you might look at Slitherine. They have several games for iPad including Legion (somewhat similar to Rome Total War) or if you like pummeling panzers their Battle Academy series has several offerings. In fact, they have a Battle Academy Lite that you can download for free -- it contains a couple of scenarios so you can 'test drive' the game and see if you like it.

http://www.slitherine.com/shop

Also ... GMT Games (from Northern California) is porting several of their games to iPad including their Commands & Colors Ancients game. The tabletop version of this game is a lot of fun and one can only hope the iPad version is as well. Probably due out next year if development hits no snags.

http://www.gmtgames.com/c-6-commands-col...ients.aspx

Unfortunately, what i have yet to find is a true old school Map & Counter war game. FPS (in California) makes them for Windows based PC's but not for the iPad ... not yet anyway.

Hope this helps.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Ugh... gaming on apple products.

Winders is where it's at.

@Narukami

Didn't know about those, thanks for that.
Quote:Does anyone know of any good ancient-themed games for mobile devices? I like strategy / war games like Roman Total War, and city-building games like the old Caesar brand. I've done some searches but couldn't find anything that seemed interesting.

Can anyone make some recommendations?

If you liked the old Caesar games, I would recommend that you check out Grand Ages of Rome, with the expansion pack, Reign of Augustus. The battle dynamic is boneheaded simple, but it has pretty good graphics, fairly well thought out gameplay (if somewhat repetitious and predictable), and has kept me entertained while I've been abstaining from RTW in anticipation of the sequel.
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb
Thanks, everybody. It looks like there are some games out there. I have Android, so tried Populus Romanus a bit last night, and it seemed fun. I'll check out the others, too.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com