Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Togodumnus and Togidubnus: same person?
Hello, I’m just interested to hear people’s thoughts on the theory favoured by some (Barry Cunliffe included) that Caratacus’s brother Togodumnus and the post-conquest king of the Regni, Togidubnus/Cogidubnus, were the same person.

This requires you to agree with the claim that the Dio mistranslated a source when he said Togodumnus ‘perished’ after the battle of Medway – instead he was just ‘defeated’ – the apparently controversial Miles Russell takes this a step further and reads the passage as saying that Togodumnus was actually fighting on the Roman side, and that perhaps the ‘Celtae’ who crossed the river during the battle were his Britons allied to the Romans.

Do think this a reasonable/feasible scenario? And any thoughts on what this would say about the tribal/dynastic dynamics of the SE region?
And I'm in the completely wrong place. I've alerted the moderators. Hopefully this will go where I thought I was: Allies and enemies. 'scuse me.
I think he was the same person. It's not uncommon to find ancient sources disagreeing about persons, often distant in time and space.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)