Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legio XX Roman Days June 12-13
ROMAN DAYS<br>
Yes, it's that time again! The sixth annual Roman Days will be on June 12-13, 2004. It is hosted by the Twentieth Legion and will be held at Marietta Mansion in Glenn Dale, Maryland, 4 miles east of I-95/I-495<br>
(Capital Beltway) near the junction of Routes 450 and 193. Representatives from the Gallic provinces will also be invited, plus any Greeks, Sumerians, Ice Men, or other ancient types that turn up, but naturally the emphasis<br>
will be on Rome. Not just military reenactors, but civilians, teachers, wargamers--if you have any interest in ancient history, please come! Be a participant or just come and talk to everyone about our mutual passion. You do NOT need to have period clothing to participate!<br>
There will be static displays with domestic items, models,<br>
childrens' activities, a couple merchants and craftspersons, Bean the Barbarian, and more.<br>
Come one, come all! Let me know how you'd like to participate, or if you wouldn't mind just manning a table for a while. Or just show up and hang out!<br>
<br>
Group leaders: Are any of your members planning to attend? Need tent space?<br>
<br>
There is more information on the Roman Days page of the<br>
Twentieth Legion Website,<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx/rdays.html<br>
<br>
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE<br>
--Arrive and set up on Friday, or Saturday morning. You may camp at the site Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night.<br>
--Open to the public 10 AM to 4 PM Saturday and Sunday, admission $4 for adults, $2 for Students. No fee for participants or merchants.<br>
<br>
FRIDAY<br>
Arrival and set-up, general hobnobbing<br>
<br>
SATURDAY, June 12<br>
10 AM, OPEN TO THE PUBLIC<br>
11 AM, Full muster and opening remarks<br>
11:30, Kids' Cohort<br>
12 Noon, Gladiatorial Show<br>
1 PM Massed tactical and drill demo<br>
1:30 PM, Kids' Cohort<br>
2 PM, Missile and Artillery Demonstration<br>
3 PM Evolution of the Roman Soldier<br>
4 PM Close to the Public<br>
<br>
SUNDAY, June 13<br>
10 AM, OPEN TO THE PUBLIC<br>
11 AM Olympic competition--Armor Race, Pilum Throw, Hamata Toss, etc.<br>
11:30 Drill and Kids' Cohort<br>
12 Noon, Gladiatorial Show<br>
1 PM Massed tactical and drill demonstration<br>
1:30 PM, Kids' Cohort<br>
2 PM, Missile and Artillery Demonstration<br>
3 PM, Closing parade<br>
4 PM, Close to the public<br>
<br>
Plenty of space for displays, parking, period or modern camping, etc. Water, portajohns, straw, firewood. There will be a number of canopies/pop-up flies for shade or rain protection, mostly for the merchants and table displays. There are a number of hotels within a few miles, mainly<br>
on Rt. 450 near the Beltway.<br>
<br>
Merlinia's "Keltic Kitchen" (okay, I made up that name!) will again be offering a food plan to participants, $20 for 2 breakfasts and Saturday night feast. Please make your reservations and send her payment<br>
as soon as possible,<br>
<br>
Joanne Shaver<br>
147 Franklin Ave.<br>
Maplewood, NJ 07040<br>
[email protected] <br>
<br>
Lunches will be available at Asellina's Caupona for about $5, and there will also be a modern food vendor. There are stores, restaurants, and fast food places within a couple miles, farther west/north along Rt. 193, or near the Beltway.<br>
<br>
Marietta Mansion is located at 5626 Bell Station Road, just off Rt. 193. From I-95/495, the Capital Beltway, take Exit 20 onto Rt. 450 East, go 4 miles, turn left on Rt. 193, then the next left onto Bell Station<br>
Rd. and immediately left into Marietta. (Rt. 450 makes a left turn where it meets Rt. 704, but it's well marked and should cause no problems.)<br>
<br>
<p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Thanks for posting that, Richard! I meant to. Really. No, really! But this gives me a chance to add the little song.<br>
<br>
See you all there, right? Valete,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus<br>
<br>
Roman Days are here again,<br>
The Roman folks can cheer again,<br>
And practice with their spear again,<br>
Roman Days are here again!<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Likewise if anyone who's coming needs stuff, let us know. I'm busy finishing off another scutum using casein paints, and might do another clipeus, so there's plenty available. I think someone from Legio XXX mentioned coming, and might be staying with us: maybe Matt L. will confirm? <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
I'm hoping to come, but as of now all I have is a pair of tunics and an early Samnite helmet... <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
We can cough up shield, swords & scabbard, mail, helmets. We don't have many spare caligae, but maybe there is a set in your size; let me know. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Some of Legio III Cyrenaica ( out of S.New England) will be going.<br>
At least 3 or 4 of Us.<br>
I won't be attending, New Job ( Great new job ) hopefully next year.<br>
<br>
Rich<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Yes, those of us who have been to Legio XX Roman Days talked it up big at Roman Day Northeast. Will be good to see Legio III Cyrenaica guys from southern New England there.<br>
I was crazy last year and drove down on the Friday night, stayed Saturday-in the pouring down rain-then drove home Sunday (had no vacation as such last year due to spending 8 weeks either in hospital or recovering from the hospital stays-2 of them). But,... still had a great time, and always also enjoy the feast put on by Merlinia for Saturday evening, and the great food at the Caupona during the day.<br>
<br>
I always look forward to this event.<br>
<br>
See you all there.<br>
<br>
Marcus Quintius Clavus <p></p><i></i>
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Marcus, sounds good! We'll need your nails to answer questions about "The Passion". (And we're skipping the rainy bit this year...)<br>
<br>
Danno, come as you are. We might just stick a pectoral on you and hand you a Republican scutum, to play Samnite. There are always a couple guys wandering around in just tunics because they don't have any other gear--no shame in that at all!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Super! And I won't even need any footwear... <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan