Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Similarities of Leather Musculatas
Ave y'all,
Vitruvius here with, perhaps a giggle or two for you all. To Wit: Has anyone noticed that Silvius's in "Masada" and Marcus Aurelius"s in "Gladiator" musculatas appear to be one and the same????????????? I noticed that when I bought a copy of "Masada" in paperback @ a used bookstore in town......... But what the Hey, You gotta save money somewhere.........
Best to all.
Salve,
Vitruvius....aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Hello Larry

There are similarities but I am not sure that they are identical. Firstly Richard Harris' armour in 'Gladiator' is black leather while Peter O Toole's is brown. Secondly the cuirass of Harris has a row of studs around the neck while O Toole's does not.

Nevertheless It may be that the designers of 'Gladiator' copied the one used in the TV series 'Masada'.

However it would not be out of the question for armour to be re-used in later films or TV series. For example helmets made for 'The Fall of The Roman Empire', made in 1963 appear in the 2006 BBC documentary on gladiators as well as the TV series 'Merlin' with Sam Neil. You can also see some of the Hellenistic cuirasses used by the Zealots in 'Masada' in that series too as well as some Roman helmets with eagle headed crests. These helmets also appear worn by the mercenaries in 'King Arthur'!

One amusing note about the reuse of armour from an earlier production appears in the film 'Siege of the Saxons' also about King Arthur. the hero played by Ronald Lewis has to wear an old breastplate which is clearly too small for him. he quips "did this armour actually fit the person it was made for"! The sharp eyed will note that it is the same armour worn by Alan Ladd in the film 'The Black Knight'! Ladd was of course much shorter in stature than Lewis.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Holy Cow Graham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are We the only ones old enough to remember these movies???????????? Scary thought that!! Thanks for your imput. I appreciated your reponse,
Salve,
Larry
Larry A. Mager
<Demetrius shambles into the room.>
Ehhh? I remember. Something... :unsure:
What were we talking about?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Boy O Boy, Demetrius,
I Know where you are coming from.......It's called "Old Fella's Disease"......lol!
Hang in there, it'll come to us......eventually...
Vitruvius.....aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Will it give my age away if I say that I can remember when the film Bambi came out.
Brian Stobbs
We've had a thread on 'The last movie you watched . . .'. Is this turning into 'The first film I saw'?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Ave,
I don't know,but for sheer Grins and giggles, I think you have a good idea there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Salve,
Vitruvius...........aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
And the same armor (the Masada/Gladiator one) was also worn by, ahem, Biggus Dickus in "Life of Brian", if I remember correctly.
Aka
Christoph
Er, what was his wife's name?
:lol:
No, don't laugh!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ave, y'all....AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I plan to watch to watch my copy of Life of Brian on Sunday..........(Antonia....aka Jaqui)says God's gonna get me for that!!!!!!!HAHA! I told her not to worry that God has a since of humor......after all, God made me,LOL!
Salve, Vitruvius....akak Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
All right. Leather musculatas. Suppose a fellow wanted to make one. Surely he would start with vegetable tanned leather. What thickness?

Once the leather was wetted, stretched into shape, beaten, tweaked, etc., what would be the best way to stiffen it? If not treated with something, the next time it got wet, it would begin to reshape itself. I know this to be true from having made tightly-fitted pistol holsters. Since the Romans didn't have volatile solvent lacquer like we do, what would they have used?

:?: :?:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
What ways did the Romans have of stiffening leather, like boiled leather?
I know this is arguing from incredulity, but if they knew how to wet-form leather, surely they would notice the effect of hot water on leather as well... ?

And does Roman military historical study, as it stands, still admit the possibility that Romans distinguished between combat and parade gear? If so -- and the musculata falls under the latter -- then waxing would be a perfectly viable way of protecting against moisture deformation... though I guess it would also face adverse conditions less often.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Ave'yall,
A couple of thoughts here: 1. If you look at Aurelius's Armor, in "Gladiator", he has so much "Scrambled eggs" ( to use a Navy term) on it, you can't tell if he has any "Muscules" (lol...thank you Popeye), or not (GROAN!!!!!!) and:
2. According to Antonia, she came across this tidbit in her class on Art and Architecture in Ancient Rome ( sadly, she just thre the book away after it got ripped up by Izzie), it was mentioned that the leather was boiled in a mixture of iron and Gaul......whoops not "Gaul" but gall....lol. No recipe given in the chapter, but they did go on to say that the leather was then beaten into the mold and left to dry in said mold. Upon drying, the piece was removed from the mold and trimmed to size. The leather was rawhide when it went into the solution. The solution color was either dark brown or black.....said leather came out lighter brown or pale black. We are looking for a new copy of said book on Amazon.com
Salve for now,
Vitruvius and Antonia..................aka Larry and Jaqui Mager
Larry A. Mager

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Similarities, differences in European languages Justin of the New Yorkii 22 3,685 08-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering