Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintable Busts
Hi There,

In researching all things Roman I have come across several painted bust models of legionaries, officers, centurions, etc.

At least, 'painted bust models' is what I call them. Do they have a more common name?

In any case, I must have one for my desk at work. There is a distinct possibility that I will die if I don't have one. I have a full model building set up from doing aircraft so all I need (I think) are a couple of different colors and a bust.

Could someone with more knowledge give me a quick primer on scales, best mfrs, most accurate models, resin vs metal, dedicated painting forums, etc.? I keep coming across Young Miniatures but wonder if there are others.

Thanks for the advice!
Have you ever done a bust before? There is pegaso, Andrea roman busts. But these are expensive (but worth it) for practise therefore I suggest attempting a cheap but interesting bust beforehand. Then you wont lose interest or waste an expensive bust. By the way young busts are excellent.
Sorry reread your comment. 1/10 is usually the scale for busts, don't really come across any different. They are usually all resin, greater detail that way. Also look into planetfigure.com, they will give you some excellent advice and brands.
maybe this is an option, you just have to paint.
http://www.der-roemer-shop.de/Buesten-St...hlmksfsio1
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Oh, my bad: I thought we were talking Fantasy Fest. I was going to say how inappropriate and off topic that would be.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
@ richard, a dirty mind is a yoy forever Wink)
:mrgreen:
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Try looking through the catalogue for Historex Agents on line. They stock most of the quality kits on the market by various manufacturers. Expect to pay around £25-£40 each, depending on the level of detail. Most kits are resin these days because you get better detail (and it's much lighter) than with white metal (mainly tin). Resin bust kits generally have only a few pieces (the upside). The downside is that the kit has to be undercoated with a matt paint because otherwise the paint will not 'stick' to the surface. Good luck!

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
It'll be max eight players, you can sign up right now, you play the battles through Hamachi. (Most issues are tunnel issues like in the case of JH which can be solved.) If one person cannot meet the deadline due to some issue (Unless I intervene) it is an automatic win for their opponent and a disqualification from the current tournament.