Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Segmentata Maintenance?
I purchased a really nice seg (wearing in profile pic) from a unit member at an event this past weekend..it has a weathered look to it which is what i wanted. What is the best way to clean and maintain it? What is the fastest way to take rust off ? Is there any spay coating that i can use to keep it from rusting? Sorry for so many questions but I've searched many different websites including this one and came up dry. Thanks
To remove light rust, the simple way is to get a ScotchBrite pad, and lightly spray with WD-40, then rub with the pad. A light oiling with the same lubricant That's the modern, easy way. And don't leave it out in the rain more than you absolutely must.

For a more authentic rust remover, use sifted wood ashes on a moistened cloth or piece of soft leather. Does not abrade or leave much of a mark on the metal, but removes the rust very nicely. The oil the Romans used? Don't know. They must have used something, though.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'd imagine neatsfoot or olive oil - neatsfoot oil doesn't rot and begin to smell though.
I had used 3-1 oil for a long time but last 2 years switched to mineral oil, you ought to be able to find it in any pharmacy. (even baby oil works)

I use a combination of emory paper and steel wools to remove rust. (0000 steel wool works great on brass) There is also a product (I want to say Stanley) that makes a 'rust eraser' that will do a great job and is very portable, although leaves shavings everywhere.

I've also used old socks drenched in Brasso polish.

The important thing to remember is to wipe off dirt, grime, fingerprints, etc. as soon as you can after an event / wearing the stuff, and oiling it up. You don't need to drench the armor, just a few drops and 'massage' the oil in.

Suggestions on using firepit ash are good, too, although I haven't used it myself. What did the Romans use? Who knows. Keeping up on keeping it clean is more important than what we may or may not know what the Romans used.

Also, neatsfoot oil is good for the leather harness straps, good news is depending on the leather, you probably won't have to oil the leather very often. I do it maybe twice a year if that.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
This topic seems as good as any. I'm planning on acquiring a set of tinned Squamata. What's the best way to care for that? Do I have to polish the for t and bac o each scale, what what is the best thing that will keep tin from tarnishing?
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
I use silvo on my tinned squamata, its made by the people who make brasso.
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Many thanks. Do you do anything with the linen backing?
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
Just make sure you dry it out throughly before storing it and buy some strong waxed linen thread as the scales need reattaching from time to time.
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Well i hate to answer my own question..but i found something that works great...Ballistol...basically spray it on a rag and wipe down Seg....make sure you do it outside because of fumes...then store it...havent touched my seg for two months and surprisingly no new rust....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004ERKCIA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noob question - Wearing lorica segmentata Faustinus 6 3,513 11-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Agricola
  Leather cords/laces for Lorica Segmentata Agricola 4 2,296 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Agricola
  Possibly Constructing my First Lorica Segmentata Pointer 13 3,218 09-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius