Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Segmentata Maintenance?
I had used 3-1 oil for a long time but last 2 years switched to mineral oil, you ought to be able to find it in any pharmacy. (even baby oil works)

I use a combination of emory paper and steel wools to remove rust. (0000 steel wool works great on brass) There is also a product (I want to say Stanley) that makes a 'rust eraser' that will do a great job and is very portable, although leaves shavings everywhere.

I've also used old socks drenched in Brasso polish.

The important thing to remember is to wipe off dirt, grime, fingerprints, etc. as soon as you can after an event / wearing the stuff, and oiling it up. You don't need to drench the armor, just a few drops and 'massage' the oil in.

Suggestions on using firepit ash are good, too, although I haven't used it myself. What did the Romans use? Who knows. Keeping up on keeping it clean is more important than what we may or may not know what the Romans used.

Also, neatsfoot oil is good for the leather harness straps, good news is depending on the leather, you probably won't have to oil the leather very often. I do it maybe twice a year if that.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
Lorica Segmentata Maintenance? - by M. Demetrius - 07-02-2013, 01:06 AM
Lorica Segmentata Maintenance? - by A_Volpe - 07-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Lorica Segmentata Maintenance? - by Aulus Maximus - 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Lorica Segmentata Maintenance? - by Aulus Maximus - 07-03-2013, 07:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noob question - Wearing lorica segmentata Faustinus 6 3,578 11-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Agricola
  Leather cords/laces for Lorica Segmentata Agricola 4 2,340 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Agricola
  Possibly Constructing my First Lorica Segmentata Pointer 13 3,353 09-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius