Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Interesting Piece
While browsing through different gear dealers, I found this extremely beautiful piece made my Terry Nix. My question is wether or not this would be an acceptable helmet to wear for a signifer impression. I am acutely aware of the signiferi mask debate, but I would like to know other people's much more knowledgeable opinion on this matter.

Regards,
Tyler

P.S. is the darker finish on the helmet historically accurate?

[attachment=7434]image.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
Hello Tyler,

The relative issue of signifers wearing a mask is not written in stone. In particular, this helmet, was found in the tomb of a noble in Vize Turkey. So it would not be appropriate for a normal legionary impression for a signifier, in my opinion.

Moreover, this is a horrible rendition of this helmet. I know that on his website supposedly the curator at a museum said its a wonderful copy. However, I assure you that I have seen VERY detailed photos of the original and for the most part does not look anything like this.

Furthermore, the original was not cold cast but hand beaten out AND there was a layer of a white metal....either silver or tin.....applied to the surface. There would have been NO blackening of the helmet at all. The copy you showed looks like a plastic movie prop. It does not even look like metal.

My advice, find yourself another helmet that fits what you are looking for and let this be.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo