Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiator II -- Well Not Yet ...
Look at that fabulous equipment :grin:
I'd vote to be one of the submachine gunners. Now there's a projectile weapon a legion could be proud of!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
[img width=300]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/Hand-siphon_for_Greek_fire,_medieval_illumination_%28detail%29.jpg/598px-Hand-siphon_for_Greek_fire,_medieval_illumination_%28detail%29.jpg[/img]

You might not be so far off Confusedilly:
I'll have to turn in my command insignia.....I forgot about S.T. "Bread and Circuses"....Bad Vitruvius (SLAPS HAND)Bad Vitruvius!!!!
Am I the only one who has noticed the extreme similarities between the proposed sequel and the stories from the 60s and 70s about another Roman, one Cassius Longinus....aka the Erternal Warrior by none other than the late Barry Saddler, who wrote and recorded "The Ballad of the Green Berets" and others? "
Cursed by Christ to wander through Eternity until Christ returns, The Legionary who speared Christ's side wanders through history righting wrongs waiting for the Second Coming". or something ;l;ike that. That's what the script reminds me of. Sadler's done it first and done it better!!
Please let me know What Y'all think!!!!!
Salveter,
Vitruvius.......Larry
ager
Larry A. Mager
Actually it wasn't a spear, it was a javelin. :whistle:
Longinus actually appears as one of the chief villains in the Australian series 'Roar', starring a very young Heath Ledger which was probably only ever seen by night owls like me, in the UK. Set in Ireland at the beginning of the fifth century during a Roman invasion, the Roman soldiers, shock horror, wear ridge helmets, scale armour and have long sleeved tunics and trousers!!!

Longinus also appears in a flashback scene to the crucifixion, wearing a mail shirt and a coolus helmet. However whovever did wonders in the Roman costume department failed miserably when it came to the Celts who look straight out of Xenia! Sad

The Roman soldiers and gladiator gear in the Star Trek episode seemed to have come from 'The Robe' and its sequel 'Demetrius and the Gladiators'.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Ave, Y'all,
All I can say Evans is "OOPS":oops: and Thanks,
Hi Graham,
I hadn't heard about that, Any good as a TV series other than the Celt costumes? Whe was "Roar" made? I don't have "The Robe" or "Demetrius and the Gladiators", Yet. But I will.
Gotta go to the Store,
Salvete,
Vitruvius, aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
I've seen "The Robe". Pretty good Crucifixion movie, horrible costumes.
Hello Larry

'Roar' was made in 1997 you can get more details on imdb. I quite enjoyed the few episodes I saw but do not expect anything too accurate although as I said before some of the Roman military gear was not bad.

Evan, I quite like the costumes in 'The Robe' but I am presuming you mean the officers uniforms. However if you look at the legionary equipment, lorica segmentata, coolus or gallic type helmets, blue tunics ,red cloaks and fur lined boots with pila and scutum they are not bad for the 1950's. A far better look than the toy armour and equipment in films like Quo Vadis and Ben-Hur, at least what they wear in 'The Robe' looks like real equipment. Also I would argue this kit is a direct copy from an illustration in the 1927 book The Roman Soldier by Amedee Forestier, copies of which regularly pop up on Amazon. The Praetorians have much smarter gear with white tunics and dark red cloaks. The swords are a bit more Napoleonic rather than a decent Gladius and the laced boots up to the calf, are a bit off but otherwise again for a fifties movie the impression is not too bad.

Graham.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Sounds Great Fraters,
Many Thanks
Salve
Larry
Larry A. Mager