Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Roman Slasher
Hi all my name is marcel, i am a roman re enacter but i am also a game developer. I am making a roman First person Slasher but i need help with what peices look like i am making a Fort atm but i am making a barracks i need to know what they had in them and what they looked like prefer images if you can lol thanks guys.
Goldy
Hi and welcome,

It would help if you could specify where your game will be set within the Roman empire and very important, in what time. Also, do you want a legionary fortress or a castellum.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
hi Robert it will be set imperial roman time and around the time of Gaius Julius Ceasr i know omg another one i might extend it maybe to earlier or later as expansions or DLC i as for the type of fortress its a more of a not going anywhere type of fortress so stone walls stone barracks i have a photo ill attach and this is what i have got the exterior to look like so far. the image that is my Avatar is my lead soldier the guy you play as.
[attachment=7538]romanbarracks.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Goldy
You main character looks very mid-first century, which is way later then the end of the Republican period (Ceasar). For a gripping story, the time of the conquest of Britain could be nice. Fiece opponents, landing parties, opposed river crossing, much stealth, shifty allies and turncoats. You may want to try Scarrow's books for inspiration.
However, along the frontiers (which is where the action was) stone walled forts did not show up for much, much later. Most barraks also would have a porticus, from what we know. I wonder what that structure is in your picture. Does not look like a typical barraks to me. My advice would be to invest in some books. http://www.ospreypublishing.com/section....ctionID=28 The Osprey ones are usually very well illustrated. Oh well, have fun.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
I'm fairly sure those are the reconstructed barracks at Arbeia. If you have been or can see the inside they can give a basic idea of the layout of the rooms. However, the mock-up of the barrack room at Wallsend/Segedunum gives a much better idea of how they might have looked in use.

We know that barrack blocks were divided into 8-10 sets of contubernia, apartments of two back-to-back rooms of equivalent size housing 8 soldiers or 3 troopers. The front room is traditionally held to have been for storage (of equipment or even cavalry horses), while the back room was for sleeping, cooking and eating. It's anyone's guess exactly how these were set out. The Osprey book on Roman forts is probably your best bet for now.
Okay, I can't stand it anymore. I'll go ahead and show my ignorance: what is a 'slasher'?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Think that new game "Ryse"
There are many First Person Shooters, but as the theme is Romans, you get to run around with a sword, henche FP Slasher. Now, for the game to be interesting, it would be nice is there was also some horseriding, close combat with the pugio, slinging and bow & arrow for stealth and the use of a ballista and onager involved. Multi weapons to chose from to complete each mission level.

Ryse (XBox One exclusive) does not really appeal to me, would prefer something along the lines of MOH or COD.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Via Google:

Quote:Ryse: Son of Rome (previously known as Codename Kingdoms and Ryse) is an upcoming action-adventure hack and slash video game in development by German studio Crytek and to be published by Microsoft Studios as an Xbox One exclusive game. The game will be released at the Xbox One launch.

So it's a bunch of killing? A 'slasher'?

Sorry: I'm not much of a gamer.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Yeah more or less, you don't get the sandbox gameplay and interactive AI aspects of something like Skyrim, but yer still cutting limbs off.
Ah. OK; thanks. I'm playing Assassin's Creed at the moment. Although guns are available, I think it is much more fun to use my sword, so I suppose I get the 'slasher' concept.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
well i do like the idea of having different weapons that's why the character has a pugio and it will be usable i will be having different weapons the way i want to do it is you train in all aspects of a roman soldier then like usually you will branch of to be Calvary or an archer or a legionnaire siege weapons i would love to do but remember i am doing all this by my self as soon as i can get help the better i will be.if you can get me images of these barracks front and back that will be brillant the layout of the barracks i have is this i will post it down there.
[attachment=7542]4937399.png[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Goldy
In Roman forts, I think the Centurion had a room separated from other barrack rooms. His was probably about the same size as that of a contuburnium, but the use of bunk beds is a given, I'd say. The corridor would be a lot of wasted space to build, considering there might be a few thousand men in a long-term or permanent fort.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...Q&dur=2337

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...wAw&dur=51

There's some pictures intended to help out.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The most common idea is that there was a double room, the antichamber, used for storage of weapons and cooking, with its door opening onto the portico, the back room, which may have had a door separating it from the antichamber but most likely not, having 8 bunkbeds set along the walls to house the contubernium (tentgroup) of eight men. A hearth was set against the wall separating the room from the antichamber, a low table was the only other furnature. These do not have a squadleader sleeping separate from the other seven. At the head of the barrackblock, there was a larger set of rooms for the centurio and the optio. So one barrack housed a century.

For the game, you could use the same setup as MOH, basic training with the various weapons (rock, gladius, pugio, sling, bow, pilum, hasta, perhaps manuballista) and perhaps also on horseback (spatha and lancae), then off to do missions to gain glory for the empire. Trouble for you is Romans in the early ages fight in tight formations, so you will need to be creative in thinking up scenario's where individual prowes comes into play.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
A mission where you're in a battle and you have to kill the enemy general using a scorpio, and you're giving fire support to disrupt attempted enemy maneuvores until he pokes his head up where you gotta play some whack-a-mole. He dies and the battle is won.