Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strange objekt at the lower half of the Gemma Augu
Dear RAT-members,

In our last lesson in my main seminar in ancient history in my University we spoke about the Gemma Augustea. While we dicussed the singel elements bit by bit I discoverd a strange objekt that I couldn't identify.
It could be a kind of shield or something and I'm very curious to know what it is.
It is in the lower half of the Gemma and on the very left side behind the back of the most left figure. It looks like a almond shape shield with a strange top shape.

So please give me your ideas or sugestions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A hit with the edge of the scutum spares resharpening the gladius!!
I would say some kind of bow and arrow quiver, although it would be strange to see that on the ground, where the figure is carriing his armour and shield.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I agree with jurjenius, it seems to be a bow and arrow quiver.
The Figur is erecting a tropaeum an the strange object is on that.
If you mean the object hanging on the tropaeum, it looks like a pelta shaped shield with scorpion device.
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
It is interesting to note that the scorpion symbol was that of the Praetorian's so is that shield belonging to the soldier helping to errect the trophy for if it is this is a very strange type for Roman.
Then it is again of interest that the two soldiers wearing helmets are both officers who are lifting the trophy one with a short cuirass and the other with a longer cuirass, and one is also wearing what appears to be a possible Parazonium.
Brian Stobbs
Does anyone know what scene is being depicted here? Is it mythological? The figure on the right holding two spears and wearing Thracian boots appears to be an Amazon. Fanciful shield designs were often associated with Amazons, and the scorpion was used as a shield device long before its adoption by the Praetorians.
Pecunia non olet
@ all: thanks for the quik answers.

@John m roberts:
The Gemma Augustea was made in the time of Augusts' or Tiberius' rule and it depictes the two emperors in the top scene and so can be interpretet as to show the line of rule and the closenes and aliknes of both.
the lower part shows an erecting of a tropaeum after a war. Noone can until now say to what war it exactly referrs but it would make sense if it is a war witch was begun by Augustus and endet by Tiberius.

PS: As English is not my mother tounge please be gentle with my mistakes. I hope everyone can get what I say.
Ursus.
After doing a little more study of this gem I have discovered that Rubens did a drawing of it taken from a plaster cast of it, where the shield changes with the helmet on the top of the trophy is over the top of the shield making it appear to look like a pelta.
There have been all kinds of ideas about this gem but can it in fact be Tiberius giving his victory over the Vindallisi to Augustus 15 BC, for the figure in the upper half of the gem that is seated is Augustus where the figure stepping out of the chariot looks to be Tiberius after a triumphal parade.
Brian Stobbs
One other observation here. Is the Cuirass that is on the ground... Roman? If so... are the pteryges connected to the inside of the Cuirass? Both the shoulder ptergaes and the apron ones are inside the Cuirass... or are we to assume that the Subarmalis is also?