Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experimental Archery Day
May I ask if any of the members on this mavellous forum have any lorica segmentata plates they would like to donate to our experimental archery day?

I have hamata and potentially a dead pig to wear it, but some plate armour would be a great addition.

It's in the UK (Wiltshire) in September...please PM me if you think you can assist.

Many thanks in advance.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Do potentially dead pigs willingly cooperate in such experiments?
:razz:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
They are like slaves. They have no vote :-)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
They willing volunteered to be a delicious dinner after the event.
Will there be hog-roast afterwards then?

More importantly, Wiltshire is not far away - any more information available? Will it be open to visitors?
Hi Moi,
what are you planning to do. The reason for asking is that shooting tests only make sense, IMHO, if the segmentatae plates would be metallurgical comparable with the 'real thing'. E.g. in my opinion shooting at a india segmentata doesn't make much sense, scientifically, although it could be fun indeed.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Surely there is some value in seeing how arrow or armour react. For many many reaons the tests cant replicate historical conditions 100%, but I think there is some merit in the activity.
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.