Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jerusalem Under Siege
I've found this book that looks quite interesting:

Jerusalem Under Siege: The Collapse of the Jewish State, 66-70 C.E. (Brill's Series in Jewish Studies)

As the intro says, is mainly centered on the military and organizative aspects of the revolt.
Unfortunately, as often happens, it's really expensive. 210 dollars the cheapest used copy.
So, two questions. Is the book worth its money? Any chance I can find it in a e-book or PDF format at more reasonable price?
Thanks!
You might also find this book to be of interest and more affordable.

Apocalypse - The Great Jewish Revolt Against Rome AD 66-73 by Neil Faulkner

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apocalypse-Great...0752425730

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Good suggestion, thanks a lot!
I've read a book about Roman's Britain of the same author. A bit biased sometimes, IMO, but solid and well written.
I think I'll give a try a this one too.
Yes, his book Rome - Empire Of The Eagle, also suffers from that, with some outrageous photo captions which the author may not have written but should never have let pass (one caption compares the Flavian Amphitheatre to the concentration camp at Auschwitz) however ...

I do think the research and scholarship behind Apocalypse is more solid and well founded.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
For something more scholarly and perhaps less sensational, you might try this:

Jerusalem against Rome

If you can read French, you can buy the original in paperback for about £10 (or equivalent). Otherwise you're stuck with the translation for ten times the price... Cry
Nathan Ross
Very expensive on Amazon.

Here is a review from there:

http://www.amazon.com/Jerusalem-Against-...ainst+Rome

Jerusalem Against Rome (Interdisciplinary Studies in Ancient Culture & Religion) (Interdisciplinary Studies in Ancient Culture and Religion) [Paperback]
J Hadas-Lebel (Author)
5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
Price: $109.00 & FREE Shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Textual analysis of some oft-overlooked depictions of Roman-Jewish warfare March 25, 2009
By James J. Bloom VINE VOICE
FormatTongueaperback|Amazon Verified Purchase

I was aware of Dr. Hadas-lebel's excellent work on the Jewish revolts through her popular book on Josephus Flavius. This is a much more scholarly work, though well written. For the most part it combs through Jewish writings of the period embracing the three major Jewish revolts against Rome, 1st through 2nd centuries AD, to get the Jewish take on these events. Apart from Josephus' detailed (though suspiciously self-serving) diary of the First Revolt, there is very little on the Jewish side. Rome has been represented by the fragments from Tacitus, Cassius Dio, and the early Christian church prelates. Professor Hadas-lebel had to comb through some very dry and excruciatingly a-historical Jewish tractates on Torah interpretation (Midrash, Talmuds, etc.) to glean the ambiguous historical references. She has performed a valuable service. For my part, my eyes cross when I have to sift through all the tediously legalistic and sacerdotal blather contained in the Talmuds. She has had to apply some very creative, if at times a bit too trusting, interpretations of the Talmudic references to possible historical events. After all, the religious pedants writing the various tractates were really not much concerned with "history" as such and were thus often anachronistic in referring to historical events and persons. Also, they were fond of using allegory, so we can't even be certain that the people and events are real. I am glad that Ms. Hadas-lebel has performed this valuable service in wading through this dull material and mining it for whatever historical nuggets we can find on the "Jewish reaction" to Roman rule, mis-rule, and persecution.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Unfortunately, my French is good enough to trudge along a comic book, but not more, and the english edition do is quite expensive.
Thank you both for the help, anyway!
At the very end I've bought Apocalypse etc. digital version and, by sheer chance,I've found the italian hardback version of "Rome and Jerusalem-The clash of ancient civilizations" by M. Goodman, which has a wider scope than the first one. So they should complete each other, sort of.