Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any horse archers?
Hello! I have recently began horse archery as a hobby(now that I have my recurve anyway), and I have had more fun in that short time of horse archery than the entirety of my riding histoy. However, I am a newb and my coach, while excellent, is not a horse archer. Does anybody here who might happen to be a horse archer have any tips for a guy learning the ropes?
Hi Jack

I'm an aspiring horse archer too, but there are many on the forum who will offer their help, I'm sure.

Where abouts in the world are you?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Give Jurjen Draaisma a PM, he shoots a mean arrow from horseback and also has a good system of keeping things safe at demo's. He is a really nice guy, so I am sure he will pass you some tips. I am an archer, but will NOT get on a horse. Lovely creatures, but too high for me ....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Well, I can give you some tips, but maybe best to know little more about your riding experience and skills. What kind of saddle do you ride? There are some major differences in shooting from a Roman saddle (as I do) compared to a saddle with stirrups, for instance.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen is right, stirrups turn a saddle into a platform basically, like sitting in a chair. Romans didn't have stirrups (or at least not until the 5th century or so).

I don't do horse archery, but I have a friend who does (Lynn from Legio IX in Virginia). So I know a bit about it.
Vindex,

I live in central PA, of the US.

Jvrjenivs,
I ride English typically, although I have been known to ride Western. I have been riding since early this year and I am not the best rider, but neither am I a poor one; I will sometimes go without stirrups although I have only once ridden bareback. The bow I use is a right handed PSE Razorback recurve takedown bow of 35 pounds of draw weight.

Here are things I have noticed after an hour and a half of horse archery;
  • You need to be ambidextrous. I shoot fine from the left side, being right-handed, but I find it nearly impossible to shoot on the right side.
  • Since I used stirrups, I found that standing up to shoot helps immensely to stabilize one's shot.
Quote:Jurjen is right, stirrups turn a saddle into a platform basically, like sitting in a chair. Romans didn't have stirrups (or at least not until the 5th century or so).

Have you ridden in a Roman style saddle, Evan? They're more of a cradle than a saddle with stirrups...

Jack - look up Dan Sawyer. Taken me a while to remember the name. He does not come here very often but he's a modern horse archer.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I see my lengtly respons has been lost Sad
So sorry for seeming to not respond to you. I will see if I can find some time to reply again tonight, but may take a couple of days, as it's a busy week.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank you; I look forward to it.
Quote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=342881 Wrote:Jurjen is right, stirrups turn a saddle into a platform basically, like sitting in a chair. Romans didn't have stirrups (or at least not until the 5th century or so).

Have you ridden in a Roman style saddle, Evan? They're more of a cradle than a saddle with stirrups...

Jack - look up Dan Sawyer. Taken me a while to remember the name. He does not come here very often but he's a modern horse archer.

Well I'm not talking specifically about the Saddle, I was talking about the effect the Stirrup has on mobility and stability from horseback. But the stuff I know only comes from Books, I don't do Equestrian.
Stirrups are hardly required for riding; I think people overestimate the effect stirrups had on warfare. Yes, they greatly helped all kinds of cavalry, but it's not like showing up to a knife fight with the Death Star.