Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd to 4th Century Roman Joke Book
The Book is "PhiloGelos" (The Laughter Lover)....A man buys s slave who dies shortly thereafter. When he complains to the Seller, he's told "He didn't die when I owned him".....(Rim-shot....BadaRump).
A Barber, abald man and an absent minded professor take a journey together. They have to camp overnight, so they decide to take turns watching over the luggage. When it's the barber's turn, he gets bored, so he amuses himself by shaving the head of the professor. When the the professor is woken up for his turn, he feels his head and says "What a Stupid Barber, He woke up the bald man instead of me!!!!" (DOUBLE Rim-Shot!!!!.
The book is entitled "Philogelos" ("The Laughter Lover") Not everyone was a togated Prig!!! If I can find an English translation of the book, I'll pass it on to the BOARD. Think about it....more than 250 jokes written in Greek in the 3rd to 4th C. c.e.
Now PLEASE let me know what Y'all think....besides groans, that is
Larry A. Mager
English Version

Greek version from Augsburg Library:
http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~harsch/graeca..._text.html
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Ave Christian,
I'm going to order the English Version, but for finding Jaqui and I where to buy a copy, all we can say (to quote an old ad) "WE REALLY LOVE YOU, MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" LOL
Larry A. Mager
I really like these. I think it is fascinating to read stuff like this, and try to understand how they thought. Sometimes they seem totally alien, and sometimes they seem exactly like us.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Ave To One and All!!!!
If You all find the joke book idea interesting, One should check out the Roman Graffiti painted on walls about Travel agents: I don't remember which issues of "Archeology" or where on the AIA website it is. And we thought "WE" were getting the shaft by Travel Agents!!!

Enjoy,
Larry (Vitruvius) Mager
Larry A. Mager

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Joke thread Sigurdrifa 6 1,713 02-17-2015, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Sigurdrifa
  This is kinda a joke, but it\'s gettin to me~! Titus Marius Secundus 16 3,884 08-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Please Tell Me This is a April Fools Joke? Primvs Pavlvs 90 12,864 04-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius