Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roxolani = Russians?
Quote:Speaking of Huns, I was reading that Procopius often refers to the Huns as Massagetae.
Regards
Michael Kerr

The Byzantines were addicted to archaisms, they often called the Russians "Tauroscythoi" and Normans "Keltoi".
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
There is evidence to suggest that the Hepathaltite Confederation (the second great Hun confederation) had conquered most of the tribes in the area of khazakstan and the other "stans" so it is likely the Avars were a product of the expansion of their federation, or the collapse of it.
I think you're correct. If I recall correctly, the Hepthalites (White Huns) even went south of Margiana into India. The Avars were recorded by the Chinese as the Juan-juan. In the new Mulan film, they were called the Rawn-rawn and their leader was titled as the Danyu. Confusedmile:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Just on the Rus I found a reference online while searching for information on name Rus.
According to the late German historian Joseph Marquart the old name of the Heruli, “Hrōs”, was applied in the 9th century to the Northmen-Vikings because of their physical resemblance to the erstwhile Heruli invaders. Some of these Heruls confiscated Bosporan ships & sailors I presume & became pirates, attacking Greece. Only a theory but article below covers a few possibilities.
Link below to a paper that discusses possible explanations for name Rus.

https://eportfolio.pace.edu/artefact/fil...view=33724

Just to confuse the issue you have Jordanes story in Getica about Hermnaric, king of the Goths & the treacherous tribe of the Rosomoni [Rosomonorum gens infida] Could be a reference to Roxolani or Alans rebelling or could be Heruls. There doesn't seem to be a satisfactory etymology for this word.

Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
He's referring to the 3rd century when Goths and Heruls overran the Bosporan Kingdom and started piracy down the black sea and into the aegean.
Yes, they also sailed across the Black Sea and raided Cappadocia. That's where Bishop Ulfilus' grandparents came from, so in a sense he was a Cappadocian by patralineal standards.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb