Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legio I Adiutrix Disigns
Questions: I was reading about the Legio I Adiutrix (a Navy unit). The article referred to the symbols of the Legio being that of Capricorn and of Pegasus. Would these pictures appear together on a banner, or shield design? Or would the designs be separate and displayed on banners? Also, the article referred to a dolphin being displayed on the helmet.......How would this have been done? Or is the helmet reference a misunderstanding by the author.

Thanks in advance,

James
Pia Fidelis
~Son of Thunder.

a.k.a. Tiberius Octavius Pius (TOP)
The two Adiutrix ("Supportive") legions were not naval units per se - they were raised from the fleet marines/sailors at Misenum (1st) and Ravenna (2nd), the former by Nero, taken over by Galba and the latter, who declared for Vespasian (hence the titles). In all other respects, though, they were armed as army units. It is thought by some that they may have worn blue tunics and that their shields might have been painted blue as a reflection of their earlier naval origins.

I think that the 'dolphin' on the helmet might have been a misunderstanding. Imperial Gallic helmets (most of them, anyway) have 'eyebrows' as a raised design on the front of the helmets. These could be mistaken for leaping dolphins, I suppose.

Trying to attach particular shield blazons to units is fraught with problems. Attempts have been made to link those seen on Trajan's Column with particular units that fought in the Dacian Wars, without being entirely convincing. Most shield blazons seem to be various combinations of thunderbolts, lightening flashes, crescent moons and the wings of eagles. One shield seen on the arch at Orange includes the Capricorn device (half goat, half fish), which may have been the badge of legio II Augusta. There is one shield that appears, although damaged, on the Arch of Constantine. This is thought to have been originally on the column of Marcus Aurelius. It shows a trident, with inter-twined dolphins, the inference being that this shield represents one of the Adiutrix legions. It could, however, be referring to legio X Fretensis, which also had naval connections. A relief carving from a column base at Mainz shows a large bird with spread wings. Dated to around AD 75, this was when legio I Adiutrix was in garrison there. However, legio XIV Gemina was also there at that time, so it could be due to them instead. See what I mean?

Another possibility is the vexillum banner - carried by units operating away from the parent body, or brigaded together with troops from other legions. These may have been painted with the devices for the original unit. There is a carved stone which (I think) shows the emblems of the II Augusta (Capricorn) and XX Valeria (boar) on vexillum banners as being involved in the construction of a length of Hadrian's Wall. A shield boss, dating from the 3rd century AD and now in Paris, shows much the same thing.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Quote:It shows a trident, with inter-twined dolphins, the inference being that this shield represents one of the Adiutrix legions. It could, however, be referring to legio X Fretensis, which also had naval connections.

Although there is a gravestone from Lincoln for a soldier of II Adiutrix, probably 1st century, showing trident and dolphins:

T. Valerius Pudens

So these emblems could well have been associated with the Adiutrix legions, although not unique to them.

Quote:However, legio XIV Gemina was also there at that time, so it could be due to them instead.

Although is there not a representation of an aquilifer of XIV Gem from the same era, showing the familiar thunderbolt shield design? One of the few designs that can be directly associated with a particular legion, in fact. Assuming, of course, that legions had standard designs in this period, which isn't certain...
Nathan Ross
Quote:Although is there not a representation of an aquilifer of XIV Gem from the same era, showing the familiar thunderbolt shield design? One of the few designs that can be directly associated with a particular legion, in fact. Assuming, of course, that legions had standard designs in this period, which isn't certain...
This is the one. There are several detailed images following this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thearmatura...512121911/
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
The reference to dolphins on helmets is certainly to the Mainz pedestals which you can see here:

link

These pedestals are from the Flavian fortress which was garrisoned by legio I Adiutrix and legio XIIII Gemina so a connection is possible but not proven.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  constructing a vexillum & the legio II adiutrix pia fide petrinus 25 4,298 07-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Last Post: petrinus