Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Customizing Lorica Hamata
I have some lorica hamata, but it is a tad long. Does anyone have any tips on how to shorten it?

Thanks!
Not hard, you just need to make sure how short you want it, hang it up on a door frame or something like that...put a broom stick or spear handle through the arm holes and let it hang down straight.

Wire cutters. Snip the horizontal row all the way around. You'll be left with a ring, so to speak, of linked rings. If it's washer + riveted, I think I'd cut the riveted link and leave the smooth washer on the bottom row.

But be sure of the length you want by having someone mark the correct row while you're wearing it. It will hang differently when it's not on a body.

Hope that helps.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'd also suggest threading a leather string or string through the links just above where you want to cut off, but do that when you wear the maille before cutting, that way you can help make sure it won't be cut off too much / too little, and keep your 'hem' line straight - as staring at all those rings can throw your eyes off really easily.

Good luck!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Depending how long, you could also pull it up and drape it on your belt, so the weight is of your shoulders. Or go for a Ceasarian miles, their hamata was longer. Wink
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
I am actually working on a centurion impression from Caesar's tenth in Gaul. Do you have any more information/sources on the Caesarean length hamata? Thanks!
Very helpful! Thanks!
It does! Thanks so much!
maybe this an option the french ceasarian legion.
http://www.roman-reenactor.com/
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Republican Legionary Lorica Hamata Vergilius Salomonis Dextro 1 57 04-23-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Arius
  customizing trooper helmet franciscus 9 2,423 06-11-2021, 04:10 PM
Last Post: franciscus
  Lorica Hamata Czear12 14 4,368 09-24-2015, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Czear12