Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best choice for a 5th century british helmet
Yes, even if a tad later (one to two generations, between 465 to 500 AD).

If you want an idea, this is the progress in my kit so far - shot at last Late Roman Event - https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...8638_n.jpg
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
I like the scale. Is your sword custom made? Also, where did you get the baldric? I can only find 3rd/4th century Baldrics.
Benjamin,

Nice outfit. Yes, who made the spatha and baldric? Smile
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Spatha was made by Paul Binns, scabbard and baldric by Matt Bunker.
A number of historians have drawn an Alanic inspiration for the later Breton reputation for good horsemanship and a preference for fighting from horseback. Alans were settled in Armorica by the Roman authorities to keep a lid on the Bagaudae. Some Alanic influence on early Breton equipment might, therefore, be expected.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
True. In 435 Flavius Litorius, under orders from Flavius Aetius, destroyed the Armorican Bacaudae (Aetius would do it another two times) and the Alans of Goar were settled in the Area of Orleans, Paris, etc (specifically Merobaudes states the "along the Seine and the Loire". Furthermore this is recorded in the Notitia Dignitatum (which indicates it was updated until 435). In the account of Germanus of Auxerre, it is recorded he negotiated a settlement between Goar and the Armorican Bacaudae some time in the 430's.

It is highly probable that there was heavy Alan influence amongst the Armorici and Litaui. If there was, I'd imagine they had a heavy focus on Heavy Infantry (from the Romans) and Cataphractarii (from the Alans).

The Taifali were a Sarmatian group and a Roman unit recorded in the Notitia Dignitatum as being in Britain/North Gaul. They were probably Cataphracts.
Whichever way you put it, that helmet is a thing of beauty!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
The 'alan/sarmatian connection' has been discussed several times on other sections of the forum, and I don't buy it at all:
- there are no proof in toponimy or linguistic grounds, the only argument about the breton name Alan was rejected by Fleuriot, as it's a celtic name
- the later, 9th century breton cavalry, famed for it's success against the Franks was a light cavalry, nothing like cataphracts and something very similar to celtic and most roman cavalry (javelins, no frontal charge, etc.)
- lot of different ethnies got settled in Gaul in the 5th century, yet only a few of them remained significant once the Franks had set their hegemony.

I find very doubtful then that a mere encounter in the 430's between Armoricans (Armorica beeing a rather large region, we don't know if the encounter happened in the civitas Osismi or around Tours for exemple) and Alans could have a lasting influence on Breton warfare, where everything else points to a mixed 'celtic' and roman culture, with of course germanic and irish influences.

But let's not get too much outside of the topic Wink
There was more than one encounter, three in fact, before the Visigoths destroyed the Alan settlements on the Sein and Loire and in Valence in 453. This does not count the intervetion by St. Augustine.

As far as I'm concerned we are looking at a very Roman culture in Armorica, not Alanic. The Alans of Sambida and Goar were heavily Romanized, having operated under Aetius for a decade (and in Roman service since the 410's) before the first Alan settlements in Gaul occurred.
There are some circumstantial connections, St Goar was a Catholic saint with an Alan name operating in Gaul. This and the long history of Alans co-operating with the Roman authorities points to them being Catholics, unlike the Arian Visigoths. We know that British troops operated in Gaul against the Visigoths, under Riothamus, an alliance between two Catholic groups would make sense. And there are plenty of authorities who support the Alan personal name being derived from the tribal name - who knows which is correct?
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Back on topic, I have to say your best bet for an Armorican Helmet is the Intercvisa-IV (River Maas) or the Concesti.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Segmentata of Choice? Gaius Colletti 7 2,227 05-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  400 AD sword choice? Caballo 7 2,650 06-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Salvianus
  Pugio Choice Ebusitanus 24 6,433 08-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat