Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making and wearing a Paludamentum - please help
Thank you Graham so very much for all that help, and thanks a lot M.Val.Brutus. Wow- these things sure are hard for me to accurately imagine and picture using just text descriptions, lol. I'm thinking that I will make my cloak out of linen, because I'll be wearing it in a warm climate and linen should give me the nice folds and pleats, and will drape well.

Thank you again for that great description of how to fold and wear the sagum cloak. If I were to make mine using that illustration that I posted- in basically a half-octagon or elongated half-circle shape, how would you suggest I fold it, wear it and pin it? The same way as you suggested for the rectangular sagum? If so, it sounds like in every case that someone wears any sagum or paludamentum over the left shoulder and its pinned on the right shoulder, you would end up seeing at least two corners hanging down- one in front and one in back. However, I don't remember often seeing those pointed corners hanging down in illustrations and modern reproductions of people wearing the dressier, more billowy and lightweight, pleated and flowing cloaks- as in my photos. Do some people today make it as a fully rounded, elongated elipse with no pointed corners? That's how I made my large toga years ago; I found a pattern online and read somewhere that's how a toga's supposed to be made, and mine looked very accurate when I wore it- without any pointed corners visible. My toga was basically a much larger version of that illustration I posted, however each of the corners were gently rounded off- so it basically looked like one third of a very large elongated circle, joined along its straight edge, to the straight edge of one third of another smaller elongated circle. The reason I ask about this is that whenever I see photos of ancient Roman sagums and paludamentums, I typically don't see any pointed corners hanging down- so I get the impression that perhaps all of the corners have been rounded off.

Thanks again very much, and I'm definitely making progress and getting a better understanding of it with your help. Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Making and wearing a Paludamentum - please help - by Adam - 09-12-2013, 10:44 PM