Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making and wearing a Paludamentum - please help
Hello Adam

All I can suggest is have a go and see if it works. Post us the photo results.

Remember Romans wore cloaks indoors even in hot climates, it was the fashion. They did however have lighter cloaks in summer and these would still have been of wool. You can get very fine wool which should give you those nice folds.

I totally agree with you Brandon. I too have had many struggles with voluminous pieces of material! The tunic dimensions are also huge even by modern standards and if we are to believe that the Romans were smaller in size than our generation. I do however think that many re-enactors use material that is probably too thick, especailly when you consider that the Romans had overcloaks and undercloaks too. If your paludamentum gets too heavy perhaps you could try finer material.

Most surviving tunics were reduced in size by tucks around the waist but that still leaves a lot of material at the sides to play with. That was one reason why Nick Fuentes suggested that a secondary belt was worn over the shoulder which kept the surplus material on the right side away from the sword pommel.

I have shown this belt in my Avatar. Seeing that made me realise I forgot to mention that the character in my Avatar is also wearing a paludamentum cloak too. It is based on the funerary portraits from Egypt. Now they do all show brooches worn on the cloak, unlike the sculptures.

Best wishes.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Making and wearing a Paludamentum - please help - by Graham Sumner - 09-13-2013, 11:42 AM