Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you identify this passage?
Excellent of you uploading your article to “academia”. I wish more scholars would follow your lead.
Thanks for the compliment.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(04-11-2019, 09:48 PM)Renatus Wrote:
(10-11-2013, 10:58 AM)Renatus Wrote: I'm playing my cards a little close to my chest but all will be revealed in due course.

I am reviving this thread to make good on this promise.

The passage in question does not come from any ancient writer but from a seventeenth century French  work entitled La Milice Romaine by Johann Jacobi von Wallhausen (Gallicised as Jean Jaques de Wallhausen) published in Frankfurt am  Main in 1616. This work was simultaneously published in German under the title Romanische Kriegskunst. It consists of two parts, the first being a discussion between a Roman and a German in which Roman training methods are described and the second being a translation of Vegetius. The passage is a slightly abridged translation of Chapter 8 of the first part.

The manuscript that I mention I found in the British Library. It is unattributed but is in the handwriting of Lord Thomas Fairfax, first Captain-General of the New Model Army and commander-in-chief of Parliamentary forces during the English Civil War. It is an abridged translation of the first three books of Vegetius' treatise and is translated, not from the Latin but from von Wallhausen's French translation. The omission of certain chapters irrelevant to seventeenth-century warfare and marginal notes indicating an intention to re-order some other chapters lead me to the conclusion that Fairfax was creating a manual, based on Vegetius, for the use of his fellow commanders and/or subordinates more applicable to his own time but retaining its ancient authority.

My findings have been published in the Modern Language Review, the reference there being:

Michael King Macdona, 'Thomas, 3rd Lord Fairfax and Vegetius', The Modern Language Review, vol. 113, no. 2, 2018, pp. 307–320.

I have also uploaded the article to academia.edu, the link being:

https://www.academia.edu/38776177/Thomas...d_Vegetius

Will Fairfax's unstarted work with notes be uploaded by the British Library at some point?
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
(04-13-2019, 01:05 AM)Condottiero Magno Wrote: Will Fairfax's unstarted work with notes  be uploaded by the British Library at some point?

I very much doubt it. It is tucked away, unattributed, in the Harley Collection.  However, they have it on microfilm, so would presumably provide a hard copy, for a price.  That's how I got my copy.
Michael King Macdona

Condottiero,

Your post on Lead Adventure Forum seems to have generated a lot of interest - ECW buffs, I guess. Thanks for the publicity.
Michael King Macdona

(04-13-2019, 06:43 AM)Renatus Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 01:05 AM)Condottiero Magno Wrote: Will Fairfax's unstarted work with notes  be uploaded by the British Library at some point?

I very much doubt it. It is tucked away, unattributed, in the Harley Collection.  However, they have it on microfilm, so would presumably provide a hard copy, for a price.  That's how I got my copy.

I get the impression this has to be done in person, as I can't find it on the online microfilm catalogue. 

I have Christopher Allmand's The De Re Militari of Vegetius: The Reception, Transmission and Legacy of a Roman Text in the Middle Ages and now looking for a work doing the same for the later 16th and 17th/18th Centuries.

(04-13-2019, 09:59 PM)Renatus Wrote: Condottiero,

Your post on Lead Adventure Forum seems to have generated a lot of interest - ECW buffs, I guess. Thanks for the publicity.

You're welcome...

ECW is quite popular, on account of the material being easily accessible in English, and not as viscerally contentious as Napoleonics, so I assumed there would be some interest. An hundred and thirty-six views as of 21:07 EST for a non-gaming thread started last night, though more posts would be nice.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
(04-14-2019, 01:04 AM)Condottiero Magno Wrote: I get the impression this has to be done in person, as I can't find it on the online microfilm catalogue.

It's some six years since I found the manuscript but, as far as I remember, I found the index card for it at the Library that day. However, I requested a photocopy, as that seemed cheaper. When I received it, the quality was not good, so I then wrote and requested a print of the microfilm, which was much better. I would send them an e-mail quoting the Harley number and asking for a copy. They can only say 'No'.

(04-14-2019, 01:04 AM)Condottiero Magno Wrote: I have Christopher Allmand's The De Re Militari of Vegetius: The Reception, Transmission and Legacy of a Roman Text in the Middle Ages and now looking for a work doing the same for the later 16th and 17th/18th Centuries.

I am not aware of a similar study for the later period, although there are scattered references in works cited in my article and in my piece on Lieutenant John Clarke (also on academia.edu).
Michael King Macdona

As an addition to my last post, do not be deceived by the suggestion that you may come across that George Washington used Vegetius during the Revolutionary War. I have been looking into that in some depth and can find nothing to support it.
Michael King Macdona

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vegetius' passage on "The Arms of the Ancients" Flavivs Aetivs 37 11,861 05-11-2016, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard