Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qurinius
In 6 AD, the Romans intervened in Judaea. It was added to the Empire, governor Quirinius conducted a census, there was turmoil, but the high priest convinced the people that they ought to register. He was defeated by his own people, but peace returned.

Because Josephus (in both the Jewish War and the Antiquities) jumps from the annexation of Judaea to a description of the Zealot movement, it is often assumed that violence was widespread and that Quirinius had to intervene with the Syrian army. However, Tacitus denies this. He records an insurrection at the death of king Herod (5/4 BC) and says that after that, all was quiet ("sub Tiberio quies").

What is the actual evidence that Quirinius had to intervene with the Syrian legions? If I have read sufficiently carefully, I would say that his right-hand man Coponius overcame all troubles, perhaps with the Herodian garrison. Anyone any thouhts?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:What is the actual evidence that Quirinius had to intervene with the Syrian legions?
I am unaware of this theory. Can you remember where you read it, Jona? Is it maybe based on a confusion with the so-called "Titulus Tiburtinus" (ILS 918), which used to be thought to refer to Quirinius?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Jona Lendering post=345790 Wrote:What is the actual evidence that Quirinius had to intervene with the Syrian legions?
I am unaware of this theory. Can you remember where you read it, Jona?
It's nowhere and everywhere, dear Duncan: the subjection of riots during the governorship of Quirinius is always presented as a major disturbance, but I am increasingly convinced that there is no military evidence.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:the subjection of riots during the governorship of Quirinius is always presented as a major disturbance
There was certainly trouble with the Ituraeans of Lebanon (ILS 2683), but no military intervention in Jerusalem (that I know of).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/