Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evaluating sources found at Roman corbridge.
I am currently doing my history A-level coursework on the short term significance of Roman Corbridge. I am struggling with evaluating sources i found and i was hoping someone could help.
All my sources are contemporary for example i have ruins of temples, reservoirs and sewers as well as the horde.
Thanks
What does the question mean when it refers to 'short term'? Can you give us the full title?
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
If your sources are inscriptions, then they could well be looking for something about Roman activity in Scotland. Without knowing the course or text books you are using that's just a wild guess, but hey, I co-wrote two of the books on Corbridge so I almost believe me most of the time... ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
By short term i mean within 100 years. I am looking at the short term significance of Roman Corbridge on social and economic life in Britain.
I just need help with evaluating how reliable ruins and a writing tile are
Corbridge was fairly small fry within the entire economy of Roman Britain, but it was an important location for trade on the northern frontier and on Hadrian's Wall.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'evaluating ruins', but the writing tablets of Vindolanda, a nearby fort, will be extremely useful for you. They are almost all available online here and here. However for now I'd recommend using a book like Life and Letters on the Roman Frontier, which includes discussion on local society and trade, and references Corbridge.

If you're looking at the hoard itself you should specifically be looking for this book. You may be able to find it in a local university library. As an A-level student you might as well get used to poking around university libraries for this sort of thing!