Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tullie house Event
http://www.tulliehouse.co.uk/roman-encampment
I and the group Roma Antiqua will be there on Saturday, Hope to see you there if you come to see the exibition :woot:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Tony.
I was wondering if you might know who created the picture of the cavalryman shown in the link to the museum.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Tony.
I was wondering if you might know who created the picture of the cavalryman shown in the link to the museum.
Those attending the event who buy the book will find this reconstruction by Johnny Shumate in the back.

As to Brian's question, it looks like a digital collage with the Christie's front-on photo of the helmet, digitally coloured and superimposed on a re-enactor, who is in turn superimposed on one of the many digital fort reconstructions around these days.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
It was not just the cavalryman that I was interested in for the sword he is wearing looks very familiar to me, and of course I have done that particular type of chamfron several times Vindolanda/ Trimontium and others.
Brian Stobbs
Hi Brian sorry just picked this up today. The group had a private viewing of the helmet so I did not take much notice of the boards. The room is quite dark and all focus is on the helmet :woot: It was a great day with plenty of the public, who came to see the helmet on a very wet day Cry The staff were great at Tullie House so thanks to them for making us very welcome. The helmet looked brillant and a credit to the conservator who worked on it :-D I would recomend anyone to view the helmet while you have the chance :grin:
Regards Brennivs :-D
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Quote:It was not just the cavalryman that I was interested in for the sword he is wearing looks very familiar to me, and of course I have done that particular type of chamfron several times Vindolanda/ Trimontium and others.

The cavalryman is Michael Theren from the german group Timetrotter. The chamfron is, as far as I know, one of Antoni Feldons pieces and I think the spatha might well come from Feldon or Erik Konig.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen
Thank you for the info' it is just that I have done a spatha very similar to that in the past.
Brian Stobbs
Any photographs, please, Tony?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Sorry Vindex did not have camera Cry but the pics would be no good as the lighting plus case would not do it justice. Also no photos were to be taken. The book on it at a £5 was good but I forgot to buy one :-x :woot: silly me :oops:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin :oops:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Here's some: http://tinyurl.com/kyhmaff

Mike Bishop

Thanks Mike - but nothing there?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Thanks Mike - but nothing there?

How strange. You ought to be able to see them. Try this instead.

Mike Bishop

Thanks, Mike - that works!

So, a question if I may - with the exception of the griffin motif on the top, does this helmet strike anyone else as remarkably similar to the chamfron decorations which have been found in the UK - most recently at Caerleon (although they are dragging their feet over saying it is chamfrom) and also - possibly - Castleford?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Quote:does this helmet strike anyone else as remarkably similar to the chamfron decorations which have been found in the UK - most recently at Caerleon (although they are dragging their feet over saying it is chamfrom) and also - possibly - Castleford?
As I pointed out this weekend, the few clues there are point firmly to the late 2nd/early 3rd centuries for the CG helmet, whereas that Caerleon chamfron (they are still working on the excavation and conservation - it takes a long time - so they are unlikely to make any premature announcements on it) could easily be residual, to judge from the similarity in the fitting you illustrated with the Vindolanda piece. The Spanish Corbridge-type lorica seg finds have reinforced the notion of longevity of at least some Roman military equipment first hinted at by Coolus helmets turning up in Britain. By similarity are you referring to the Phrygian caps on that fitting and the roundel from Castleford?

Mike Bishop

Yes, the Phrygian caps.
Moi Watson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Event Sledmere House, East Yorkshire John Conyard 2 1,336 05-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Last Post: John Conyard