Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scalps
Perhaps this is a bit random , but I have been pondering various cavalry stele, as is my wont, and I wondered if anyone knew of any references for the practice of scalping in the Northern European tribes or La Tene culture?

It is all the fault of our friend Insus - I keep thinking that his horse's breast decoration is actually made out of the scalps of his victims, and the one shown here would be added (if he weren't dead).

So - is there any evidence of scalping by the Germanic tribes (Insus is "of the Treveri")?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
There are many attestations to the application of "head-hunting". This was a very important cultural aspect of war for the Celtic tribes, i.e. those closely related to the early La Tene culture. Essentially head-hunting was the act of taking the head of an enemy that you have bested which would often be displayed outside your home, dangling from the harness of your horse, or off the side of a chariot. I have even heard of them being tied to standards that were brought into battle. But as for scalping, I can't say for sure but I have my doubts, scalps just aren't practical to be taken as a trophy. Hope that helps.
"The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must."

- Thucydides

Sean Cantrell
Northern Michigan
I am not sure of my German tribes but didn't the Suebi (Suebian knot) and Chatti men wear a form of top-knot or scalp-knot. Maybe to an enemy or rival, cutting these off after a kill in battle could be classed as scalping. Ostrogoths seemed to mix with Alans around the time of the battle of Adrianople so maybe they picked up the custom of scalping from them over time although I know of no examples. Although more to do with head-hunting rather than scalping, in the book ‘Hate and War The Column of Marcus Aurelius’ by Iain Ferris there are a few gruesome depictions of presentations of heads to Marcus Aurelius and a possible beheading by Roman auxiliaries so head hunting was prevalent amongst Roman armies but maybe scalping was practiced by certain auxiliaries like Alans and Huns. I shall post 2 of the pics from Aurelian Column below. I don't know too much about Roman armour or uniforms & late 2nd century weapons but troops seem to be auxiliaries. If cutting off heads & scalping isn't bad enough, the Scythians used to flay their enemies & use the skin for their bow cases as they liked the milky colour of human skin for decoration. Photos by Graham Norrie from book.

[attachment=8548]headpresentation.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8549]possiblebeheading.jpg[/attachment]

Regards
Michael Kerr

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Moi.
I'm not so sure about scalps but I think that it may just be a decorative barding that is on his horse, but then on closer examination I find what looks to be a head already in the riders right hand so head hunting I would say yes to.
Brian Stobbs
Thank you all for your replies - most helpful

I just think it would add a certain something to a cavalry impression to replace the decorative barding with something more meaningful than, say, coloured wool Wink
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
The Celts embalmed the most prestigious trophy heads in cedar oil and kept them in boxes. They were brought out on special occasions - "Have you seen my collection of heads?"
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The taking of heads and scalps? LvpvsRomanvs 29 5,874 08-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Last Post: LvpvsRomanvs