Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cutting perfect round .010 brass discs?
I need to cut a large number of 1 inch diameter discs from .010 brass. Any idea how to approach this. Shears will only create irregular shaped discs. I lack a punch large enough to do this. Thoughts anyone? I'm toying with the idea of grinding a old socket but I'm hoping for a niftier idea. Thanks.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
How much do you need? And do they have to be really perfect disc's? Otherwise, if the amount of disc's don't exceed the limit of your patience, I would suggest grinding the rim of the cut disc's until your eyes say it's round enough.<br>
<br>
Of course if it is worth the trouble, you can try to build some sort of punching device yourself.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Jurgen/Quintilianus <p></p><i></i>
Ave!<br>
<br>
Get a 1" leather punch from Tandy or any other leather supplier that carries tools. Might be called a "drive" punch, because you hit it with a hammer. They come in a wide variety of sizes. Fine for .010" or .015" brass, but anything heavier and you can chew up the punch!<br>
<br>
I rest the work on a lead block and use a 2-pound hammer.<br>
<br>
I remember the days of cutting out little discs with snips! Trust me, get a punch and make life easier on yourself!<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
You can also use one inch inside diameter pipe for your punch. Just grind the end down to a sharp edge. Hammering into a lead block works well, but you will need to keep the surface pretty clean and true, or it will start affecting your brass disks. You can also hammer into the end grain of a wood block. Something tough like oak works well. When the end gets too dinged up, just saw off a quarter inch to one half inch.<br>
<br>
There is some high-pressure tubing available that stands up to a lot of abuse, and the walls are pretty thin. You might want to search for some of that.<br>
<br>
Just some humble thoughts to share.<br>
<br>
Mike Ameling - one of those Northmen<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rice Mats / cutting caiusbeerquitius 4 1,804 07-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Late roman scabbard discs! Virilis 18 4,252 01-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Agraes
  Looking for the perfect 3rdc AD helmet Chuck Russell 14 3,770 12-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Virilis