Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Year\'s Honours: Allason-Jones receives OBE
I was delighted to see that Lindsay Allason-Jones has been awarded an OBE for services to archaeology in the New Year's Honours list.

Formerly of Newcastle University, Allason-Jones is a significant figure within Roman military studies, particularly for her work on leather but also on small finds from the north of Britain in general. She has also written on the women of Roman Britain, most notably for us arguing for their presence within forts.

She was a fantastic lecturer when I was a student of hers at Newcastle, so I'm really glad she has been honoured in this way. :-)

(An honourable mention goes to the only other archaeologist on the list, Richard Buckley of the University of Leicester Archaeology Service, most notable last year for leading the excavation of Richard III.)

Edited because I put the wrong honour in, d'oh!
Quote:Formerly of Newcastle University, Allason-Jones is a significant figure within Roman military studies, particularly for her work on leather but also on small finds from the north of Britain in general.
The merest quibble, but I think Lindsay is better known for her work on jet and shale than leather; that's more Carol van Driel-Murray's field ;-) Definitely good news, though.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Well-deserved. Nice to see someone being recognised for a genuine reason, rather than some pop-'star' being given a gong for 'services to exports'!

I remember when LAJ came and gave the annual lecture at Caerleon - a superb lecture and a great evening.

Mike Thomas
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Quote:
Robert Matthew post=348922 Wrote:Formerly of Newcastle University, Allason-Jones is a significant figure within Roman military studies, particularly for her work on leather but also on small finds from the north of Britain in general.
The merest quibble, but I think Lindsay is better known for her work on jet and shale than leather; that's more Carol van Driel-Murray's field ;-) Definitely good news, though.

Mike Bishop
Oh good grief. I thought getting the name of the new title wrong initially was a bad enough mistake. Thanks for the correction, I am clearly an enormous dunce!