Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gamzigrad gravestone?
Salvete Omnes!

Does anyone have photos / info of the Gamzigrad late roman gravestone? There is an illustration of it on "Late Roman Army" by Southern & Dixon. The gravestone is dated in this book to the time of tetrarchy. Thanks Wink!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
You should have asked a week earlier, I had that book from the library. I'll see if I can check it out again, but it'll be a few days.
Evan, I have that book, I was thinking about some photos of the gravestone etc. Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Hmm, well did you google it? Also I think Jasper has a link to a bunch of Gravestone Inscriptions. I've used the database before but can't remember it for the life of me.
I thought the data base had gone offline......
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
If you mean the fragment of frieze with the rider and the guy in the intercisa, Robert Vermaat posted a picture of it some time ago HERE

Which I'll repeat:

[attachment=8230]Gamzigrad.jpg[/attachment]

* note - Robert's post had the added info [photo] 'by Anne Chen (2009)'

As you probably know, Gamzigrad (or 'Romuliana') was originally built by the emperor Galerius as his retirement palace (like Diocletian's one at Split). The reliefs probably date to the end of his reign, c.311.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nathan Ross
Thanks Nathan, that's the one! The helmet is usually interpreted as a Intercisa style but it might as well be a ridge helmet with a nasal in my opinion.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:I thought the data base had gone offline......

Not a RAT database, some german site.
Quote:it might as well be a ridge helmet with a nasal in my opinion.

I agree!

I should add that Gamzigrad was apparently built by soldiers of V Macedonica and other Danube legions - a shame there's no indication here of who or what the soldier on foot might be: a praetorian or other guardsman, or maybe a representation of one of the Vth, loyally supporting their emperor?
Nathan Ross
V Macedonica was "Eight Times Loyal Eight Times Faithful"

Also there are some Intercisa helmets that had base rings and nasals - the Worms helmet had a 1/2 base ring around the back where the neckguard went up to the cheek piece attachments. I can think of two that had nasals but can't tell you the names off the top of my head. Came from Germany or something.
Yes, I know Evan. I was just thinking how the cheek pieces of the Berkasovo style helmets enclose the face of the wearer more completely and they might be also an earlier innovation than the Intercisa style helmets.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote: If you mean the fragment of frieze with the rider and the guy in the intercisa, Robert Vermaat posted a picture of it some time ago HERE
* note - Robert's post had the added info [photo] 'by Anne Chen (2009)'
AHA! Thát's where it went, I could no longer find it myself... :whistle:

Quote:As you probably know, Gamzigrad (or 'Romuliana') was originally built by the emperor Galerius as his retirement palace (like Diocletian's one at Split). The reliefs probably date to the end of his reign, c.311.
It might, but Gamzigrad also has later building phases, and it's possible to see this added in the 6th c. But I agree, I think the 4th c. is more likely.

Quote:
Virilis post=345687 Wrote:it might as well be a ridge helmet with a nasal in my opinion.
I agree!
Me too. I think it's a Berkasovo type with nasal.

Quote:I should add that Gamzigrad was apparently built by soldiers of V Macedonica and other Danube legions - a shame there's no indication here of who or what the soldier on foot might be: a praetorian or other guardsman, or maybe a representation of one of the Vth, loyally supporting their emperor?
I still wonder 'bout that axe though....
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Bump! Yes, how about this axe? It doesn`t look likely that it is a dolabra. Do we have any examples on roman axes?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX