Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to hold a hammer???
I'd be grateful for input from anyone who uses a hammer in their work, from heavy blacksmithing work to fine patterning;

To cut marble you have an upturned chisel set in a wood block and you place the marble to be cut on this and hit it with the sharp blade of a heavy (1kg/2.2lb) hammer. The movement is from the wrist, you don't move your elbow or shoulder as the weight of the hammer does the cutting, or more accurately sends a fracture through the marble as you don't want the blades to touch. I've included a side view of this.

The question is; I have a grip on the hammer which has my thumb curled around the handle but I've seen people with their thumb along the top of the handle (the red line I've superimposed on the 2nd photo). Some people in the mosaic world say they've been taught this way. Is their any rationale for gripping the hammer this way? Is anyone metal working, woodworking, whatever who would hold it this way?

[attachment=8763]hammerposition-sideviewcorrect.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=8764]hammerpositionofthumb.JPG[/attachment]
Some suggestions coming up are that it is for precision or accuracy. Personally I really can't see any reason for this, surely by wrapping your thumb around the handle the vibration from hammering goes through the pad of flesh just below your thumb. By putting your thumb along the handle doesn't the vibration from hammering go through the joint?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
I use the *thumb in line* grip when I'm doing fine tapping work,where accuracy is my main concern. For things like starting the flair on a spear socket where force is most important,the wrap around grip,I can get more out of every strike.
This is works for me,others mileage may vary Smile
Note,for me it's not so much the transfer of force to my arm from the blow of the hammer,more the thumb in line helps my aim.
Thanks that's good to get some confirmation that it is used. I imagine the hammers you use for that are quite light? Would you think it would be practical from the accuracy point of view when the hammer weighs 750gm - 950gm?
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
Well,for most of my heavy work I use a 3 pound crosspien
For smaller things I've made my own specialized hammers that are probably close to 700 grams give or take. For me it makes a difference because,I use my thumb to *aim* my strike,gives me more control.
With anything,what works best for you,is best Smile
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Whether or not it can make a difference with stone I'm not so sure but at least I know it's a viable technique, in other areas.
Lawrence Payne