Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armenian cataphracts
Does someone has good illustrations (besides the Osprey ones) of Armenian cataphracts?
What made their armour differ from the Partian/Sassanid cataphract armour? Are there essays on Armenian cataphracts?
Thanks

Etruschi

Philip van Geystelen
Philip van Geystelen
I doubt there was any significant difference in such equipment.But at least take a look on this nicely rendered Armenian cataphract:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I believe that the Armenians largely followed the Iranian model, until the Sabirs and Turks start appearing - then I believe they largely started following the Central Asian model. The only finds I know of are from Tsibillium, 6th - 7th Century, which have some Turkic (B shaped) lamellae, fragments of maille, and some Sasanian type swords. Some swords and belt fittings were also found at Uc Tepe in Azarbayjan. Moschevaya Balka is not far from Armenia.

In the early period, I would expect them to be significantly more Hellenised than their Arsacid counterparts - I forget which author, but doesn't someone explicitly state that they wore greaves but left their thighs unprotected?
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan