Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd Century Kit
Avete ,<br>
<br>
I've been asked to do some work on eqipment that would have been used during Chester's heyday, namely 3rd Century.<br>
<br>
I've found a few references, but I'd be interseted to see or hear about what any of you may have reconstructed.<br>
<br>
Valete<br>
<br>
Mummius <p></p><i></i>
Hi Mummius,<br>
Graham sumner lives near Chester now and he ahs told me the he'd be pleased to help you with your query if you want.<br>
Just e-mail me [email protected] and I'll put you in contact with you.<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hi,<br>
<br>
I've spent the last year recreating the kit for an auxiliary from Hadrian's Wall for the 3rd C:<br>
<br>
img.photobucket.com/album.../imp-5.jpg<br>
<br>
What items did you have in mind particularly?<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Mithras,<br>
<br>
Nice kit!<br>
<br>
I don't have anything firm in mind as yet although something from the legion structure as opposed to auxiliary would be good. The reason I posted was to find out what people had reconstructed so that I can work out what is feasable/affordable. I suppose it would be worthwhile to show something substantially different from the other roman periods.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Mummius <p></p><i></i>
Hi Mithras,<br>
<br>
Erm.. I sneaked into the site and noticed two more pictures.<br>
Did you thake Stephenson's drawings as an example or did you model for his book? The resemblance is very close!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ah yes, the pose is taken directly from Stephenson's book!! My sister is convinced I'm holding a broom because you can't see the spearhead!<br>
<br>
I used a few other sources, most of all the Cohors Quinta Gallorum kit-guide, which is extremely extensive. But the shield, the overlong ringmail, the ring buckle belt, the baldric and phalerae - they are all classic 3rdC items of equipment aren't they? The helmet is a Van Graeverts Auxilary E and my most prized possession.<br>
<br>
A very useful inspiration was Graham Turner's full page painting on pg 95 of Brassey's Roman Army: Wars of the Empire.<br>
<br>
Thats what I love about 3rd C - you seem to have much more ffreedom to individualize, armour, helmet, baldric, belt type, cloak ... none of our soldiers look alike.<br>
<br>
BTW: Your site gets alot of attention from me these days, I've gone all 4thC too. <p></p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.