Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rare ancient artwork and pictures
Maybe topic like this already exist somwhere on this forum but if not it seems a good idea to set up one.

So please if you think you encountered on something interesting which is not so well known or accessible and that you have pictures of it let's share it here with other members!Or at least I am definitely interested in such pictures.

This could also be a good place where to ask for help of others if you don't know from where certain artwork is,what is its datation and so on.

So I will start myself to encourage others(and will continue this topic regardless if I will be the only one to posting material to it...but hopefully more people will like to share):
Votive tablet from Britain:

EDITConfusedeems to me from 3rd or early 4th century.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I like this idea. Stickied.
Lion hunt.In style very reminiscent to famous Ludovisi battle sarcophagus.It looks very much like from the first half of the 3rd century.

Another lion hunt dated between 220-270.But I would not exclude earlier datation as well.I dont know any details for their datation.It is stored in Spoleto, Piazza del Duomo:

And in this central guy is sometimes identified as Emperor Balbinus-so if theory is right it is likely from 238 AD.

:

And final liont hunt(for the time being-it seems it was very popular theme especially during 3rd century).It should be stored somwhere in Rome:

Decenalia monument of Diocletian shows quite clearly military standarts includig aquila:

Quote:Votive tablet from Britain:

EDITConfusedeems to me from 3rd or early 4th century.
It's back to front! It's RIB 132 and the inscription reads: Deo Rom(u)lo / Gulioepius / donavit / Iuuentinus / fecit, 'To the god Romulus Gulioepius presented this, Juventinus made it.'
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Finally I found good picture of Severan soldiers wearing Phrygian cap(or Phrygian style shaped helmet):

I have posted this before but this seems to be a good opportunity to post it again, especially as, on his recent visit to Istanbul, Adrian Coombs-Hoar (ValentinianVictrix) found that it was no longer to be seen. Whether it has been destroyed or removed for preservation, we do not know. If anyone has any information on this, it would be most welcome. The relief is believed to have come from the Column of Theodosius and this picture was taken in 1976.

[attachment=9437]ColumnofTheodosius-thesamein1976.jpg[/attachment]

Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:And final liont hunt...it seems it was very popular theme especially during 3rd century

It seems so! Here's another one, from the Louvre. They seem to be rather formulaic. I wonder actually whether the lions may be significant - perhaps they represent the resurgent Sassanian empire, and Rome's desire to assert itself eastwards against the new threat?

Alternatively, it could just be the latest fashion in elite entertainment - earlier Romans went hunting (Pliny describes a boar hunt, which he attempted to avoid), but the chasse seems to have really caught on the third century. I wonder why?

Also, Pavel - could you identify the sarcophagus with the reclining couple on top? I've seen pictures of it elsewhere, but don't recall where it is or what it tends to be called...
Nathan Ross
Quote:I have posted this before but this seems to be a good opportunity to post it again

Sure!
Here are a couple more.

First, another sarcophagus, with a wedding scene. This is in the Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, Rome:

[attachment=9438]WeddingSarcophagus.jpg[/attachment]

In the same museum is this wall picture, which I originally posted in the 'Quiz' thread - it seems to have vanished from there so here it is again. Perhaps represents a shellfish diver, or female athlete:

[attachment=9439]BathsFresco1.jpg[/attachment]

Nathan Ross