Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rare ancient artwork and pictures
Adrian's link takes you to the relief that I have called 'Battle Scene' elsewhere in this forum, which I photographed in 1976. It can be identified from its location as shown in other of Adrian's photographs. It is barely recognisable from how it appeared then. The viewpoint is higher; it is beneath a dirty transparent panel, obscured by vegetation; and it seems to be partially buried. This is how it ought to look:

[attachment=9905]ColumnofTheodosius-battlescene.jpg[/attachment]

On a happier note, this link is to Adrian's excellent photograph of the tombstone of the bucinator Aurelius Surus:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

This is important because, to the best of my knowledge, it is the only unequivocal representation of a bucinator with his instrument. It was found in 1964 but, when I saw it in 1976, it was (I think) newly displayed and little known. The 2013 Roman Army School in Durham was dedicated to the presentation of papers in honour of the late Dr Brian Dobson and my contribution, entitled 'Vegetius and the Bucinator', sought to examine the difference between Vegetius' description of the bucina and its depiction on this tombstone. The papers are to be published, possibly late next year.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
Rare ancient artwork and pictures - by Renatus - 03-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Rare ancient artwork and pictures - by Renatus - 03-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Rare ancient artwork and pictures - by Renatus - 03-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Rare ancient artwork and pictures - by Renatus - 05-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Rare ancient artwork and pictures - by Alanus - 05-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Rare ancient artwork and pictures - by Renatus - 05-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Rare ancient artwork and pictures - by erick - 05-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Rare ancient artwork and pictures - by Renatus - 01-12-2015, 11:20 PM