Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetius
You can argue that Vegetius interests three types of scholar. The Late Romanists, who mutter about things like his date and the antiqua legio; Early Romanists who love him as The KIng of Cut'n'Paste, preserving lost scraps of 'proper' authors; and medievalists, who are apt to point out (with a wink) that there are over 200 manuscripts of Vegetius, and only one of the first six books of Tacitus Annals. Never mind the quality, feel the width!

Christopher Allmand's volume* on the medieval reception of Vegetius has just come out in paperback (or papperbok, as Monty Python would have it) and deserves a place on the shelf on anybody with an interest in ancient or medieval warfare. You can even stick it on your Kindle, should you feel the need.

Vegetius wrote the ultimate desk-based study and, as Allmand points out, it was later realised that it was a work to be studied before the battle, not on the battlefield!

Mike Bishop

*Allmand, C. 2011: The De Re Militari of Vegetius: The Reception, Transmission and Legacy of a Roman Text in the Middle Ages, Cambridge: CUP (paperback edition 2014) ISBN 978-1107000278
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Christopher Allmand's volume* on the medieval reception of Vegetius has just come out in paperback (or papperbok, as Monty Python would have it)...

The medieval reception of Vegetius:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-HjOeCvm2I

Great link!
M Bishop wrote:
Christopher Allmand's volume* on the medieval reception of Vegetius has just come out in paperback (or papperbok, as Monty Python would have it) and deserves a place on the shelf on anybody with an interest in ancient or medieval warfare.

I’m at present reading Christopher Allmand's Vegetius and also a book about Margaret Thatcher. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.
The present paperback's price is around half the hardcover's in 2012, proving that one has to acquire niche titles ASAP or end up settling for a not as durable version. Here's a Bryn Mawr review.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
In the process of packing up my tenth box of books due to a house move but I am sure that there is room for a "waffer thin" title like this Wink

(Although I don't get the second hand price being more than new...)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!