Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Roads in Britain
The website that accompanies my new book, The Secret History of the Roman Roads of Britain, is now online. The book (and the website) contains much of relevance to Roman (and later) military history (come on, you didn't seriously think I could write something that didn't, did you?!).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks. Good material.
Douglas
On its way....the book not the website.
Please Mr Bishop, stop making so many books, they are making me so skint...;0
Fortresses were good.....Roads, I can relate to more, and possibly help/add a few more.
I love Roman Roads......maybe that's why I have no wife Smile
Kevin
Kevin
I think one of the major aspects of Roman roads was indeed the maintenance of them for was there not a mention from Vindolanda how one of the local roads was in such a bad state of repair.
This is where we have to think was work needed on them a central government responsibility or did it become part of a local system for most of the major roads were for heavy movement of troops when needed.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:On its way....the book not the website.
Please Mr Bishop, stop making so many books, they are making me so skint...;0
Well they're not making me rich, I can tell you that for free. In fact, time taken writing books like that doesn't even pay national minimum wage and I have to bear that in mind ever time I think of writing a new one (since I don't have an academic post to fund such research).

Quote:Fortresses were good.....Roads, I can relate to more, and possibly help/add a few more.
I love Roman Roads......maybe that's why I have no wife Smile
Other reasons are, of course, available ;-)

Mike Bishop

Quote:I think one of the major aspects of Roman roads was indeed the maintenance of them for was there not a mention from Vindolanda how one of the local roads was in such a bad state of repair.

That reference (Tab. Vind. 343) -- dum viae malae sunt (whilst the roads are bad) -- is actually ambiguous and could just as easily refer to the fact that Dere Street between Catterick and Corbridge could be blocked by snow in what is now County Durham (one of the only places in England that still has to have a snow-blower to keep the road open during winter, I seem to remember). Better Latinists than I (Duncan?) might care to argue over the sense of dum, but you catch my drift (pun intended). Thus it need not be a reflection on the actual state of the surface of the road and the need for maintenance, just a reminder of the sometimes extreme British weather.

Mike Bishop

Mike.
Thank you for that bit of info' very interesting and like you mention he appears to have been concerned for the animals so it may well have been winter weather.
Brian Stobbs
Suns out in Devon......Boy, those men must have begged for a posting to II AVG at Exeter.. Could they do this?
Kevin
Kevin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Roads in Britain Theoderic 9 2,385 02-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Last Post: mcbishop
  When Were Roman Military Roads Built Theoderic 25 4,368 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  How fast could a rider travel over Roman roads? eperlanus 8 5,425 10-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Epictetus