Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Cavalry Training
The relatively modern sport of tent pegging. Taken up by the British Cavalry in India and brought back to the UK (much the same as polo) it is still a military sport and pursued Worldwide by both military and civilian clubs.

A different technique will be required for a Roman saddle, but I thought I'd have a go any way. I like galloping about...

(Dummy lance is a bamboo pole; "live" lances are also bamboo with eight inch iron tips)
[attachment=9543]Tenpeg_3.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9544]Tentpeg_8.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Moi.

I'm just looking at that tent pegging and where you mention a different technique with a Roman type saddle, would the Roman rider have used the neck of the horse to prevent rolling off the side of the saddle. That is the left arm around the left side of the neck of the horse for I remember when I worked down a coal mine we would ride the ponies along low tunnels bare back and this was part of how we managed to stay on even with arms around their chest. This was great fun until the pony decided to run you into the side wall and you finished up chewing dust on the deck, so I do think that Roman riders must have indeed become part of the horse a bit like the American Indian.
Brian Stobbs
Out of curiosity, is there any evidence that the Romans practices tent pegging?
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
Brian - I believe, and hope to demonstrate when I get a saddle made the way I think it should be, that if you have your saddle in close contact with the horse and with the breeching straps doing their job, you can lean a fair way out of a horned saddle without feeling too unstable.

What I meant by changing technique was trying to hit a target and not get the lance jammed into the ground on the recover (new picture attached) By not using the half seat (which is what you see here - me balanced in the stirrups using my knees and my backside out of the saddle to allow greater bend and movement) there needs to be some compensation somewhere to accommodate the length of the lance. A bent arm on recovery would not do the job - you just get bashed on the back of the head with the butt spike!

Nadeem - it is meant to replace pig sticking but I see no reason why a Roman cavalryman would not have done something very similar. Evidence for it is another matter.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Moi.

I do think that with a correct type of Roman saddle things might even be better for there are four horns, therefore with the left leg hooked back on the rear left horn and the right thigh held by the front right horn you may just become part of the horse and he might not want you to tip him over to the right and so some balance. Then as you mention about the spear it looks like this is a thing that you have to perfect over time with much practice keep up the good work lad you should get there.
Brian Stobbs