Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets Talk Adrianople
Hi Evan, I don't know that with the different spellings of the 2 words that Candac and Kandak maybe different variants of the same but even OMH says on page 150 of his book.
Quote:The Sciri, moreover, and the Sadagarii and certain of the Alani with their leader, Candac by name, received Scythia minor and Moesia inferior.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Yeah, one of Attila's sons, successor of the now dead Danizik (Dengzich). He was settled by the Eastern Romans after Dengzich's defeat in the 460's.

The Sadagarii I'm not sure what they are, but if you notice the Bittugur, Tongur, Ultinzur, and Bardor Huns aren't mentioned, who all had fled under Dengzich.
Quote:The Grethungi and Tervingi both crossed the rhine in 376: The Tervingi were welcome, the Grethungi were not.

The Rhine is a long way from the Ister, but we know what you meant, not what you said. :grin:

As you say, the Greutungi never had permission to cross the river. This didn't stop them, and the "Two Duces" (Alatheus and Safrax) led them across shortly after Fritigern's group passed over. As Michael has noted, the Greutungi were well-Sarmatized, particularly in the deployment and fine art of cavalry. Among this group of "three peoples," we also find a contingent of Huns. And this is the group that broke the Roman back at Adrianople. Videric the boy king was never mentioned again after crossing the Ister, so possibly he died along with his branch of the Amals. :unsure:

Kim seems to be right on the money, and the Amal origin could well be Alanic. The Eastern Goths in Ermaneric's time had been living next-door to the Alans for generations.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Fail on my part, I meant to say Danube.

The Amals were probably one of the Pontic groups that were moved under Hun domination. There were 2 groups of goths buried in the mountains above the Crimean Peninsula that held out until the 6th century AD.
Yes, I think the Amals were split up and the Videric side simply died out. As you say, not all Goths fled to Moesia and a substantial number remained in their old provinces to be swallowed up by the Huns. Same thing with the Alans, although the Safrax Alans appear to have moved to Pannonia, most likely the group Christianized by Bishop Amantius. It's a hard period to follow with a dearth of factual info... and a lot of speculation. :dizzy:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:
Robert Vermaat post=354848 Wrote:Figures! I bet Theodosius used him to counter-balance Alaric or other Gothic groups.
I was simply pointing out that Athanaric was extremely dead, not just partially-dead or mostly-dead, by the time Alaric emerges in the historical continuum-- an entire decade later! :woot:
Ah, that fact. The 'him' should have been a 'them'. :whistle:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Oh! You mean all of Athanaric's tribal supporters. :grin:
I'm guessing you've pardoned me for being a squelching tud ball. :dizzy:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)