Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
issue of armour after Augustus reforms
Hi everyone. I've had little luck using the seach function so I apologize for asking this question.

I thought I remembered hearing that one of the reforms of Octavianos Augustus Ceasar had something to do with changing the way soldiers were issued their armour in the form of receiving payment to buy their own. I can't find if this or the reverse was true, or even if this was a dream that I had read it and that's why I am having trouble with it. Does anyone have any information about this topic or links where this was discussed earlier?

Thank you for any help you can give.
During the principate the legionaires had to buy their standard equipment from the army. They had to pay it by installements, and got the money back, when leaving the army, dead or alive. There are some papyri and other material showing the deductions, soldiers had to pay for equipment, food, clothes, insurances and others.

During republic and late empire, things were sometimes different. Depends on the timeframe, we are talking about.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas
Thanks Frank. That's what I wanted to know.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armour Design in Ancient Warfare Vol II Issue 6 Robert Vermaat 14 2,574 01-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius