Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xiphos
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post in this sections since I normally post in the Roman area. Someone recently reconstructed for me a Roman parazonium based on a Xiphos with respect to the appearance of the scabbard. The sword has to have some features consistent with Roman weaponry....I think. The question I have is related to suspension loops for putting some leather strap through to hang the sword. Did the Xiphos actually have suspension loops and if so, how many? Roman sword scabbards in the 1st C usually had four suspension loops at the locket....two at each side. However, I have seen some depictions of Roman statues showing only two suspension loops for the so called parazonium.

Since the Romans copied from the Greeks in many instances, I am asking about the appearance of the Xiphos which many think is the precursor to the parazomium. I would like to adapt certain features to my parazonium which, I think came from this. In fact, to a certain degree, the Campovolano sword looks like a parazonium of sorts and its Etruscan. However, this piece does not have any suspension loops at the locket. I cannot tell if they broke off or are missing at all.

The only picture I have of something that could be a Xiphos is attached from Beroia

Thanks in advance

Paolo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hello Paolo
In most cases the greek scabbards had four rings like the roman swords and like the drawing above. This is attested by many vase paintings, and some sculptures, as well as some vague actual scabbard remains. It is possible however that both the the bands that held the loops, as well as the loops themselves were of organic material, because none of them has ever survived, even in the case of good preservation of the iron of the sword or even the wood and some times leather of the scabbard.
While roman scabbards seem to be using only two of the four loops, the greeks used all four of them, in such a way that the baldric crossed over the scabbard and formed an X. The scabbard was hang from the loops of one side, while the loops of the other side often had decorative tussels. In this way the sword hungs at a 45 degree angle that helps it to be drawn under the hoplite shield.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Thanks for the reply. It was really helpful and it also simplifies the problem since the pieces I have are made with 4 suspension loops. So I will adapt these to the parazonium.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo