Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horses and Pegasus
Is there any known evidence of horses on actual phalerae other than tombstones or sculptures. I know one phalerae on the Sertorius Festus Stela has a horse. Is this just artistic license or is it reasonable to have a horse on such a decoration?

Someone I once spoke to mentioned that it could be a wingless Pegasus. Honestly, I never heard of such a thing. Is there a wingless Pegasus anywhere in Roman art, coins, depictions.......whatever?

Any replies or photos of evidence for something I believe is not existent would be appreciated.

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Possibly something which counts is part of the silver hoard from Lupu, Romania which depicts a mounted rider (with shield).

As for a wingless Pegasus - without being facetious, is that not a just a horse? Not sure how you could refer to anything as a wingless Pegasus unless the context of the depiction includes part of the "Pegasus Story".

By the bye, the Knights Templar adopted the pegasus motif as originally it was two poor knights sharing one horse which was likened to Pegasus' wings.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks Moi for the picture.

Exactly, no wings is just a horse. That is why the comment seemed strange since I have always known that Pegasus should have wings. Funny thing though......we are discussing the reality of an unreal creature.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote: Funny thing though......we are discussing the reality of an unreal creature.

Shhh...don't tell Pegasus that! Next you'll be telling me Sleipnir doesn't exist.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Paolo.
I have been checking out republican coins showing Pegasus and also those with a Free horse, what I find is that there is a coin of the Cossutia showing Bellerophon hurling a spear while riding Pegasus.
This coin is of the Cossutia Gens who were of Equestrian rank.

Then there are other coins showing a Free horse however these are of Pre-Denarius coinage going back to BC 200s.

What one might consider here is that just maybe Sertorius might come from an Equestrian Rank family hence the phalera, then also there is the matching tomb stone of Sertorius Firmus standard bearer who may well be a relation and also another military man.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Funny thing though......we are discussing the reality of an unreal creature.

Dare you to say that to a guy I saw on tv a while back. Some show called ancient aliens. Some guy blabbing on about how mythical creatures like pegasus and minotaurs were real things created by genetic experiments by aliens.
David C
Quote: What one might consider here is that just maybe Sertorius might come from an Equestrian Rank family hence the phalera, then also there is the matching tomb stone of Sertorius Firmus standard bearer who may well be a relation and also another military man.

Interesting point - off to look at that!
Moi Watson

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I have not gotten back to the topic. Brian, Would you happen to have photos of these coins showing the horses?

Clearly Sertorius had a horse I would think. Did centurions not have horses to ride on when not in battle?

David, as a scientist I cannot categorically rule out the existence of extraterrestrials since the universe is infinite and so are the possibilities. However, I too have seen these alien shows. According to the UFO and alien experts, we basically did not build anything in the ancient world. It was all the aliens. The only problem I have with their theory is this. IF.......IF.......aliens were here with ALL the ADVANCED technology then why have us build things of iron, rock, wood and marble? Why not high tensions steel, electricity, reinforced concrete, advanced alloys......how about.........flight? Oh yes, I forgot....we would be competing with them LOL.

Back to the topic.

Cheers

Paolo
Quote:
Doc post=354314 Wrote:Funny thing though......we are discussing the reality of an unreal creature.

Shhh...don't tell Pegasus that! Next you'll be telling me Sleipnir doesn't exist.
:wink:
[Image: BAM__Sleipnir_Skeleton_by_Xenothere.png]
[Image: Sleipner_Musculature_by_Xenothere.png]
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
See - evidence! Wink
Moi Watson

Paolo.
I would like very much to post these pictures but with the type of security this site has it becomes just impossible for me to up load any pictures whatever on RAT, even though I have asked until now but just give up for no one appears to be able to resolve this problem for me.

PS. It looks like I will just have to send them to you by e-mail but then others on the topic will not get the chance to see them.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Paolo.
I would like very much to post these pictures but with the type of security this site has it becomes just impossible for me to up load any pictures whatever on RAT, even though I have asked until now but just give up for no one appears to be able to resolve this problem for me.

PS. It looks like I will just have to send them to you by e-mail but then others on the topic will not get the chance to see them.

You have a PM Brian
Moi Watson