Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are \'Parthian shots\'?
Oh, I gotcha! Another handy position for a quiver. This guy looks liker he just rode out of Dances With Wolves. Even has a tamga on his horse's flank. :woot:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
It seems that although Roman & assorted nineteenth century writers thought of the 'Parthian or Parting Shot' as cowardly or feminine, to the various steppe peoples it was a legitimate and very effective tactic and when practised in a group situations in ancient warfare, was simply the feigned retreat. Commonly used in ancient battles to separate wings from the centres of armies to create gaps to exploit or merely to entice the cavalry component of an army to give chase leaving the infantry isolated it was common practice amongst the various mounted tribesmen of the steppe. I think the Romans learnt that lesson well at Carrhae against the Parthians/Saka with the destruction of Publius Crassus & his Gallic cavalry & then most of the infantry Crassus had left. I found this image from an old Russian publication War History and Warfare of the Cimmerian Bosporus (6th century BC – middle of the 3rd century AD ) unfortunately except for title completely in Russian which I don't understand, but had some good drawings so image posted is a simple artists impression only so maybe not so big on accuracy with all types of troops in there from Scythians, Alans, & Bosporan Greeks, but it sums up the tactic with the first line of horse archers retreating and firing arrows, luring the unseen enemy into waiting second line to finish enemy off by peppering pursuers with 'Parthian shots' pretty well.

[attachment=9860]feignedretreatbigger.jpg[/attachment]

Regards
Michael Kerr

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
True, the Romans first viewed the tactic as cowardly, a view which probably got modified once it was recognized as extremely effective. It was used by Sangiban outside of Orleans in the 450s, and then much later by the Norman cavalry commander Alan the Red in 1066. Kinda worked well for a millennium. :grin:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb