Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Priscus
Anyone know where I can find the complete surviving writings of Priscus online, or can purchase a copy?

I've always had access to about 1-2 pieces of his work, and of course getting references through secondary sources, but I need the whole thing.
Well...Priscus is a somewhat common name in several genres from late antiquity so I'm not sure which you need. I recall one discussing Atilla, however. The classicising one. You can find him here: http://www.archive.org/stream/historicig...3/mode/2up

You might find a published translation somewhere, I've no idea. Sorry.
Jass
Try ‘The fragmentary Classicising Historians of the Later Roman Empire' which covers the writings of Eunapius, Olympiodorous, Priscus & Malchus. Volume II (Text, Translation & Historiographical notes by R.C. Blockley. It is expensive but if you look around you might get a cheaper copy. Volume 1 of the same title is much cheaper but doesn't contain the text or translations only notes & biographies of the writers. Unfortunately these writings only appear in fragments so that is about as complete as it gets. Greek text & English translation on facing pages like a lot of Byzantine military treatises. Maybe there is an online source somewhere

http://www.amazon.com/Fragmentary-Classi....+Blockley

Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
I forund his embassy to Attila:

http://www29.homepage.villanova.edu/chri...mbassy.htm

But there are more fragments and I don't have them.
In the Blockley version, which I think is the latest there are about 68 various fragments some running for a few lines & others going for a few pages. I suppose the embassy to Attila is the most famous one & maybe that will suffice for your needs. A lot of fragments are used in later sources, some being John of Antioch, Suda or Byzantine History, Jordanes, Theopanes, Procopius, Evagrius & others.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Yes I have Jordanes and his fragments.

Do you happen to have access to Fragment 30? He records some useful information about Majorian and Aegidius in it.
Blockley's ‘The fragmentary Classicising Historians of the Later Roman Empire' is only useful for those wanting to know where historians such as Zosimus and the others Michael mentioned got their information from.

Its an interesting read but I fear will not be of much use to you Evan, unless you want to read the other histories side by side Blockley's book to find out which bits were used.

As Michael has noted, soem of the fragments are just a sentence or so.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Hi Evan, there are three different correlations of Priscus Fragments, Niebuhr, Muller-Dindorf & Blockley. I think fragment 30 you wanted is from the Muller-Dindorf correlation which makes it Fragment 39 in Blockley's one. I shall PM you later.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr