Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Representations of barbarians form 5th century
The column represents decoration on the edge of the sleeve by use of a line, not color.

@Thomas V

The Thorsberg clearly has clavii on the very edge of the sleeve.
Quote:The Thorsberg clearly has clavii on the very edge of the sleeve.
The "clavi" are tablet-woven borders.
Basically the same thing.
Quote:The column represents decoration on the edge of the sleeve by use of a line, not color.

@Thomas V

The Thorsberg clearly has clavii on the very edge of the sleeve.

This is another question... It has sleeves?
Sergio

Historian.

Regnum Barbaricum

Barcino, Tarraconensis, Hispania.
Most late antique tunics had long sleeves.
I must clarify when I'm talking about different colour stripes in the edge of tunics I don't mean the typical clavii on the final part of the sleeve, I mean just like the mosaic of vandals, a diferent colour stripe wit embroidery just on the end of the sleeve.
Sergio

Historian.

Regnum Barbaricum

The pen & ink drawings of the Column of Theodosius and the Column of Arcadius show Goth's from between 380 and 420AD, so right at the beginning of the 5th Century. Depictions of these columns can be found on the internet.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I've found this representation. Someone knows what kind of garment wear two of the captive goths? Looks like a some kind o tunic with collar...
[Image: fig-09.png]
Sergio

Historian.

Regnum Barbaricum

I've found this representation. Someone knows what kind of garment wear two of the captive goths? Looks like some kind o tunic with collar...

[Image: 81rb-h6fGeL._SL1500_.jpg]
Sergio

Historian.

Regnum Barbaricum

Sergio,
Although the Column of Arcadius is a late Roman monumnet, that sketch is unfortunately a very late 'translation'. The artist was heavily influenced by modern ideas about what Romans and barbarians looked like. Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
There are two main collections of the sketches of those columns, and there is a thread which details both of them on this site. The drawings of the base of the Column of Arcadius show captured Goth's either bare headed or wearing Phrygian style caps and also wearing a long sleeved knee-length tunic with ankle lengthed trousers.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Quote:Sergio,
Although the Column of Arcadius is a late Roman monumnet, that sketch is unfortunately a very late 'translation'. The artist was heavily influenced by modern ideas about what Romans and barbarians looked like. Sad

Thanks, Robert, I suspected something wrong when I saw the romans soldires clothing but I didn't know it was a later representation Smile
In the original Arcadius Column they look very different, it's true.
[Image: arcadi10.jpg]
Sergio

Historian.

Regnum Barbaricum

I see lots of Manica... I wonder if that was possibly influence from the Dacian wars? Surely in the Roman equipment they looted there would have been manica, and they were on the old Dacian border. It makes sense in a sense, in that the Goths wouldn't have been able to give their medium-class soldiers full armor, but they would have used helmets, greaves, and arm-guards to protect their exposed body parts.

The bowcases are the same as the ones from the Vergilius Vaticanus and Santa Maggiore

The Muscle cuirass on the bottom-left plate is different than the one on the bottom-middle plate, so I would suggest the one on the left is chainmail or scale represented as a muscle cuirass, while the one in the middle is an iron muscle cuirass.

I'm a bit baffled by the half-circle objects, they look like the old Greek Pelta.
I wont go too much into the detail of the pen & ink drawings because there is a very large thread about this already. What I will say is that I have closely examined the sketches from a number of sources. Its reasonably clear that the muscle cuirasses shown are Clibanarii/Catafractarii equipment as they are also in association with the tubular arm/leg armour and the helmets with attached face guards. Mail hauberks are shown quite differently, look at the Goths to the right in the centre section of the panel, they are wearing knee and elbow length mail hauberks.
The bottom panel, showing the Goth's piling up their arms and armour after their defeat has a mixture of both Roman and Gothic equipment. This would be correct as the column was erected to celebrate the Roman victory over Gainas who was a Gothic chieftain who also became a high ranking Roman officer and who led both 'Roman' and Gothic troops first on behalf of the Eastern empire and then against it.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
At the bottom left pannel I've seen a "head"... Do you think it could be a helmet with mask?
Sergio

Historian.

Regnum Barbaricum