Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Roman cavalry wear face-masks in battle?
As I said, I do not think that the evidence can positively support either opinion.
As for the normative: It will be quite hard to find out what the smith was thinking. I assume that there were not two smiths thinking exactly the same thing, as humans go. Also, for the normative I actually meant: I do not think it makes much sense to state "All masked helmets were intended for this or that purpose" as a sort of modern rule for the use of these objects. I do not think that that is how history works. In the end it apparently turns out IMO to be a question of belief.

Quote:I think 'know' is a little strong there. It's been deduced my modern researchers from a small sample.
OK. All the samples investigated that were preserved well enough did show the relevant marks, if I understand the text correctly.

Quote:And I have never said that that alone is the argument. It is one of several components which, taken together, persuade me that they were not intended for use in battle.
I understand, but I still think, as I said, that this is not a feasible component.

Quote:And you'll never find me saying that -- I've always argued against the standard art-historical view that pretty things don't get used in battle. :-)
Well, this pops up in the discussion frequently, and since you asked about our thoughts about the subject...

Quote:'Know' or 'deduce'? (see above) ;-) Cavalry helmets of the 1st century (Ely, Xanten) have fairly substantial neckguards on them, presumably to deflect downward blows to the back of the wearer's neck and shoulders. Less of a consideration in the HG when real weapons weren't used.
Then how do we explain the non-mask helmets with very short neck-guards? Doesn´t convince me. See also Doc´s post. Also some of the cavalry helmets predecessors have very short neck-guards, look at many of the attic "samnite" helmets. Maybe different units used different fighting styles, depending on where they originated from. I am not sure if neck and perhaps shoulders are so exposed areas on a rider that he willingly takes the risk to break his neck so easily when he falls of the horse. The thracian cavalry helmet fragment from Augsburg (70ies of the 1st century) has a very short neck guard. Not a mask-helmet, though. An other explanation might simply be style. Wouldn´t come as a surprise either.

Quote:Yes, but where's the *evidence*?
As I said, I cannot see any sound evidence for either opinion. I think, as I have said above frequently, that we need more investigations of several aspects of this before we can draw such definite conclusions.

Quote:I see nothing that says these things were intended for use in battle, and I also see no evidence suggesting they were indeed used in that way (and those are of course two different criteria)
Well, I have named a few points above. Kalkriese would be just one. Of course we can find all kinds of funny explanations for the mask being there, but applying the razor here... well...

Anyway, I don´t think that much more can be said about this at the moment. Time will probably show. If we are lucky, we will find a copy of Pliny´s book about throwings spears from horseback. May have some interesting info in it.

Brian
Leaving expensive things at home... This may seem logical, but it may also seem logical that one wants to have the expensive items with one and not leave them at home.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Messages In This Thread
Did Roman cavalry wear face-masks in battle? - by caiusbeerquitius - 05-20-2014, 11:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did roman legions ever wear breeches? Leoshenlong 1 233 09-03-2022, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Any battle where Roman & Sparta face enemy SAJID 7 3,700 10-22-2015, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  Roman \'wear and tear\' on the battle line? Tempestvvv 24 12,464 09-02-2015, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Tempestvvv