Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Eagle images
Hello Everyone,

I would like to obtain photos of Roman Eagles to use the image in a reconstruction. I know from reading that the eagle can be on thunderbolts and whirl winds, on a globe, with a wreath in its mouth or a snake, or holding an olive branch in its talons?

Does anyone good photos of Roman Eagles images.....coins, paintings, armor, sculpture etc. I especially hope to find one with the snake in its mouth and something in the talons.

Thanks in advance
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Paolo.
Here are a few to be going on with taken from some of the chamfrons I have made and what I find is that many depictions of the eagle do tend to show the bird with its head pointing upwards.
[attachment=9938]100-0030_IMG.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=9939]100-0009_IMG.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=9940]eagle.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Paolo.
Here is another one I have found.
[attachment=9941]eagle1.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Hello Brian,

That is wonderful work. Thanks for the ideas and the pictures.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
A rather small one can be seen here: http://sutor.jimdo.com/escapees/roman/br...ail-shirt/
Here's a rather nice one from Istanbul - nothing in its beak or talons, I'm afraid.

[attachment=9942]AquiliferIstanbul.jpg[/attachment]

Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Couple examples here from military items.
Phalera

Armor connecting fragment
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Here is one from RMO Leiden The Netherlands.

[attachment=9950]adelaarRMO.jpg[/attachment]

AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Thank you all for the photos. So far the originals are as described with respect to the talons. The last one shows either the thunderbolts or winds.

Yet, there is non with the wreath in its mouth or the snake. I wonder what that article was on about. I know the Italic D helmet had eagle with a wreath.

Paolo
Paolo.
If you check again you will find that there are a couple that do indeed have a laurel wreath in their mouth and one has a olive branch.
Brian Stobbs
Here is another interesting one that I made many years ago for the Vindolanda Roman Army Museum, and I was given it on loan when I put forward the guard of honour for HRH the late Princess Margaret.
This was when she declared Hadrian's Wall a World Monument.
[attachment=9953]aquilasegdumfrt.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9954]pm.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
That is a beautiful eagle Brian!! Was it cast in copper alloy and then gilt?

Aside from your reconstructions that are beautiful, I am looking for original depictions of precisely what you reconstructed.

Paolo
You will be familiar with this - thundercloud and lighting in its talons; wreath around its wings; it may also have something in its beak.

[attachment=9955]TombstoneofGnaeusMusius.jpg[/attachment]

Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Thanks Michael,

I almost forgot about this one. I have seen it before but it slipped my mind.

Paolo
Paolo.
All of the eagles I have shown from those chamfrons are indeed the exact copies from the Straubing pieces, and of course the one of my own was made from plate brass put together piece by piece but work done in my earlier days of reconstruction.
Brian Stobbs