Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visi and Tervingi
In Notitia Dignitatum appear two units called Visi and Tervingi, I supose consist by visigoths. Can someone tell me about this units? They were commanded by tehir own officers or by roman officers. Their organitzation were the same than other roman units? Thanks a lot!
Sergio

Historian.

Regnum Barbaricum

Barcino, Tarraconensis, Hispania.
"Vesi" was the Gothic word adopted eventually adopted by Alaric's Goths, after they had moved to Aquitaine, to describe their foederatic group. However, in the Notitia Dignitatum this may not have specifically referred to them, as it only dates to 395-419.

"Tervingi" are almost certainly Gothic recruits from the groups that crossed over into the Balkans (which included Tervingi, Grethungi, the Goths of Radagasius, Alans, Huns, and probably others as well like Suebic Groups or Heruli). However, it's likely they date further back to the treaty established by Constantine or one of his successors with the Tervingi.
Quote:"Vesi" was the Gothic word adopted eventually adopted by Alaric's Goths, after they had moved to Aquitaine, to describe their foederatic group. However, in the Notitia Dignitatum this may not have specifically referred to them, as it only dates to 395-419.

"Tervingi" are almost certainly Gothic recruits from the groups that crossed over into the Balkans (which included Tervingi, Grethungi, the Goths of Radagasius, Alans, Huns, and probably others as well like Suebic Groups or Heruli). However, it's likely they date further back to the treaty established by Constantine or one of his successors with the Tervingi.

Thanks a lot, but these units were commanded by goths or by roman officers? It functioned as other roman units? Its organization, rules , etc were the same? Thanks Smile
Sergio

Historian.

Regnum Barbaricum

They were Roman units, not Foederait. Although they probably had gothic recruits, in all other respects these were Roman professional military units.
Quote:They were Roman units, not Foederait. Although they probably had gothic recruits, in all other respects these were Roman professional military units.

Ok, tha's what I want to know Big Grin
Sergio

Historian.

Regnum Barbaricum