Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoge Woerd Spatha drawings
I just published my drawings for the Hoge Woerd spatha found near De Meern. If anyone interested in the sword, especially those who can actually read the Dutch PDF report, would care to look over the drawings and let me know what you think I would appreciate the feedback. Also let me know if there are any obvious errors in them I may have over looked. I have a poorly google translated PDF and it's hard to sift through the errors and untranslated parts.

Links to Drawings page
Hoge Woerd Spatha

Thanks
Jim
Lauriacum-Hromovka Type I presume? Scabbard slider would suggest 2nd Century?
It's described in the report as a Straubing-Nydam variant and from what I could decipher from the translations it is estimated to be early 2nd to late 3rd century unless I have read it wrong so your dating is spot-on. I did put a link to the PDF report on the page and it is also posted in RAT somewhere.

Didn't the Lauriacum-Hromovka generally have fullers or channels down the blade or was this just a few examples?

Robert Wimmers has worked on this project I believe.

Jim
I have Smile ! Blade is nearly finished, as is the linden scabbard body, and I have bought enough good linden to make the entire hilt. Interestingly, this find suggest an all wooden scabbard with iron fittings, which are not totaly unique, but most fittings are of bronze.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Salve Robert.

Is the chape of iron as well? I thought the chape and slide were bronze. Do I have that wrong?

Jim
Surely the two legs on the bottom of the slide are let into the body of the scabbard rather than the whole thing just perching on top, which is what your drawing indicates?

That's how it works with other slides of the this type.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
I just put the slide in the area where it was pictured showing its vertical alignment. I didn't intend on giving a scabbard drawing yet. You're right Matt, the legs should fit into the wood as I think all slides do. I might need to add notes to that effect so as not to confuse anyone. I'm not sure what the upper small tip was for on the slide. I was wondering if it sat flush with the scabbard but it seems too tall for that.

Jim
Both are iron.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Wow they are in excellent shape for iron. There must have been almost no oxygen in the deposit soil.

Can't wait to see your finished sword Robert. Everything I've seen of yours is exquisite and I have no doubt this project will be the same. I hope you will allow me to use your images on my site.

I will update my drawings in the next day or so and correct the notes.

.I appreciate the input. Sometimes when you make drawings you overlook things that are glaringly obvious to a second set of eyes (or third lol)

Jim
Finally got around to updating the drawings with some of the comments taken on board.
Notes changed and slide locations fixed to show the legs embedded into the scabbard wood.

Any other tweaks anyone thinks are needed would be appreciated

Hoge Woerd Spatha

Thanks for the previous input

jim