Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mottos Of The Legions
Did each of the Leagins have mottos that those within it would live by.<br>
<br>
E.G. "Kill them all and let God sort them out"<br>
<br>
What were they? and how were they chosen? <p></p><i></i>
I'm not sure if any of the legions had mottos. Perhaps the closest thing are some of the cognomina, like Rapax (irresistable) or Ferrata (ironsides). <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yes I found the same ref:, but they seemed to be more of a reputation, like General "Stone wall" Jackson (American civil war) or Bradmans "Invincibles" (1950s Sports team)<br>
<br>
We seem to have a great many mottos in our current world for every service and family crest. In the Greek culture this concept can also be found. I am somewhat surprised that modern mottos are written in Latin and from what I can find their military did not seen to have one. I am assuming that most authors do not find this aspect of a fighting mans life of any interest, and so it does not get published as it should.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Did the (The cohors praetoria) Praetorian Guard have a motto<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/uvirtuosa01.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Virtuosa01</A> at: 12/19/01 8:31:27 am<br></i>
I know a little something about the Guard, but can't say that I've ever run across a motto per se. Their "birthsign" was Scorpio.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I think graffitti from the praetorian camp had a motto for the Legio XXX Caligulae of "ME EDITE" <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX<br>
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
The Guard is founded on the 'Three Pillars' of LOYALTY, HONOR, and SERVICE. The 'Pillars' are explained thus:<br>
<br>
LOYALTY - A guardsman shall be loyal unto his Empyre. He shall defend its nobility, its citizens, fellow guardsman, and the Emperor unto the death. Attempting to subvert or betray the sacred oaths and trusts placed in him is the highest of crimes.<br>
<br>
HONOR - A guardsman shall maintain the highest standards of honor both on and off the battlefield. He is responsible for his conduct at all times, as any actions taken by him reflect upon the whole of the Guard. He will retain the standards of etiquette, show kindness, uphold the law, and be merciful in the execution of his duties.<br>
<br>
SERVICE - (Or 'devotion to duty') A guardsman serves his Empyre and his Empyre alone. The Guard serves not one man, but the hopes and dreams of the entire people. A guardsman's dedication and love for his Empyre is such that none should have to call that into question. His service to the Guard shall be whole and complete, forsaking all others while in its care. None shall stand higher in his heart while he wears its colors.<br>
<br>
These three 'Pillars' are sworn to upon the oath each guardsman takes when he is accepted unto their number<br>
<br>
This is the closest that I've come to a motto so far, and as a motto goes it is a good one. <p></p><i></i>
my ease. <p></p><i></i>